News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 202 using GV - cordless phone will not ring and corded phone short ring

Started by JeanneO, February 02, 2013, 02:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneO

What do i need to do to get my corded phone to ring normally? As another posted, it sounds like only a half ring. Also my panasonic cordless phone will not ring at all. When i got ahold of panasonic, the said and i need a filter and should check with my service provide as to what kind of filter to purchase. I am using google voice and have been unable to find any information about filters. I appreciate help in solving problems.

giqcass

I don't think a filter is what you need.  Google Voice does not have any effect on the volume of the phone rings so you won't find any info relating to that.  This is something the OBi controls but it can be affected by multiple variables.  It sounds to me like it could be related to the cables or to your corded phone directly.  Some old corded phones suck up the voltage and work poorly with VOIP equipment.  This could take power away from other devices as well and cause them to malfunction.  Do you have an very long cable run?  Try plugging the phones directly into the OBi for diagnostic purposes.  Test each phone one at a time.  

Here is a similar post with other recommendations.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4549.0

You could open a support request.  If you do try to be as specific as possible about how the OBi is connected to the phones And make sure you describe the model numbers of the phones you are connecting.
http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm.php
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

Let us know what you find and perhaps we can direct you further.  Let us know the actual models of the phones and the details of how they are hooked up.

JeanneO

I have a panasonic kx-tg9343 connected into the wall jack. I am using the cable that came with it. When i do the obi test (**0, 3, 0#) it rings the 2nd (sp2) connected to the obi instead of ringing SP1 which is what it is plugged into. When someone calls me, it does not ring and my corded phone do not have a normal ring (short ring). I have visited with obi several times but have not resovled the issue.  Someone else posted a msg indicating upgrading the cable modem and router (currently using cisco wireless and modem from cable company). Thanks so much for your response. Hope i can resolve this issues. I have removed the batteries from the DECT 6.0 cordless, hoping that will help.

lhm.

Try one at a time. Forget the wall jack and corded phone. Try connecting Dect base unit to the Obi and work on making that functional first.  Just mho.

giqcass

I believe the codes you entered should ring all ports as long as you didn't change the defaults.  You said the Panasonic is plugged into the wall Jack.  Did you hook the OBi outgoing telephone port into the homes wiring?

I do not mean the cables that connect the internet.  Which OBi do you have?  

Rick

I agree with lhm.  Forget the wall jack.  Plug ONE phone into the OBi and see if it rings.  If yes, unplug it and try the other phone.  If yes, now you know the issue is the wall jack - come back and tell us.

JeanneO

Thanks for everyones help. I removed the batteries from all my cordless phones and unplugged the chargers, then inserted batteries and charged phones. I have several corded phones in my 4 level house, so as suggested, i eliminated a couple older phones and i pleased to say all my phones ring normally.

I am using the wireless adapter on the obi202 and i am not always connected to the internet via my subscribed cable company. I had previous read a recommendation to purchase motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (D3) modem and netgear WNDR-3700 wireless router. Does anyone have an opinion on wheather i should consider upgrading my modem and/or linksys wireless router?

I really appreciate your response!  :)

Rick

I don't know what removing batteries has to do with anything.  What was suggested was that you verify each phone (or wireless base) works properly connected directly to the OBi 202 - not to a wall jack.  Once you verified that each phone worked (or didn't), we suggested you come back and we work on getting phones that are plugged into a wall jack (i.e. not wireless) working.  Apparently you decided to approach it differently.

Your issue with the 202 not being connected to the internet all the time is totally different.  You need to explain more.

How do you currently connect to the internet via your cable company?  What is the cable modem you use?  What is the wireless router you use?  Do you lose the connection on computers that are connected wirelessly, or just on the OBi 202?

The cable modem you use should have no impact on the 202's connectivity, since it's on the other side of the router and should be connected to the internet 24/7.

The wireless router you use may, or may not have problems, but again - you need to isolate it from the OBi and verify whether it works wirelessly for your computers, smartphones, etc.

JeanneO

The cable modem used is provided from the midcontinent cable company and does not have a model number.

The wireless router is a linksys wrt320n which has 4 ethernet ports. Today when i unplugged SP2 from OBI, i lost connection on it but not on the computer. Although i do at times loose computer connection.

I am wondering if it would help to upgrade equipment. Internet is currently very slow and i do not want to loose phone service.

Rick

This forum is for support of the OBi device.  If you're trying to get a more stable internet connection, you need to start with your cable company.  If your internet is slow, your provider needs to diagnose why and either a) get you to pay for higher speed or b) figure out why they aren't delivering the speed you're paying for.

Unplugging SP2 from the OBi device should have NO IMPACT on anything, except that you can't use SP2. 

You can't just add a different cable modem to your service.  Cable modems have to be provisioned in some way by the cable company, i.e. on their end they tell the system that cable modem xyz with id 123 is now your cable modem, and set it to deliver speed of xxxmbps.  If you buy a cable modem they don't approve, you bought a paperweight. 

You can use any wireless router you want. Yours should be fine.  However, you need to diagnose where you're losing connection - the cable modem or the wireless router.  If it's the router, it could be channel interference (for wireless) or something else.  One way to test that is to see if a WIRED computer connection is lost when you "lose" your connection.  If not, then it's a wireless issue which could be a bunch of things.  If it loses a wired connection, it could be other things. 

My advice - focus on one thing at a time.  If your internet is slow, it has nothing to do with your OBi.  Get that resolved with your cable company.  Then, when it's resolved, you can focus on whether you're losing internet connection wirelessly, wired, or what.  Then you can focus on your phone service.

giqcass

I wouldn't necessarily blame equipment immediately. It looks like you have a decent router.    
Has the OBi been placed very far from the wireless router?
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware on your router?

As Rick said if you replace a cable modem it is important to contact you cable provider first.  Usually there is no need to replace a modem at all.  I have had them go out but that doesn't happen too often. You may want to contact you cable company the next time the internet goes out.  They can check your modem from their end and usually tell you if it is connected properly.  There are also lights on the modem and the router that will let you know what's going on.  I recommend you familiarize yourself with the manuals.

JeanneO

Great helpful advice. My cable modem and wireless router is in the basement and OBI is on the next level  (7 step up) of the house. I would guess they are 20' apart. I do have the current firmware for OBI, but i have never check for an upgrade to linksys router. I will check.

I have GV set up to email missed called to my cell. It seemed to work yesterday but not today.

giqcass

Go to the setting menu on Google Voice under the calls tab and make sure the send missed calls to my email box is checked.  Also make sure it's the correct email address next to it. 

20 feet apart should be no problem. Both devices are capable of N standard communication.  I would check the router firmware however as there may be bug and security fixes in place.  It might improve the reliability of your internet connection.