News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 and Dynamic DNS services : suggestions ?

Started by rudyrednose, February 02, 2013, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyrednose

Hi,
I just installed a new Obi202 succesfully.
Now, I have the following setup :

CableModem---Obi202---WiFiRouter---MyNetwork

I like using the Obi202 as the first router as it garantees voice traffic precedence on egress.  However, is there any way I can use Dynamic DNS services in this topology ?

The obvious alternative is to use the Obi202 behind the WiFi router, but I then lose trafic prioritization.

Any ideas ?

Thank you !

giqcass

There are settings for Dynamic DNS on most routers but it's the same problem I have been having.  The OBi202 prevents the router from acquiring  the correct address if your primary router is behind the OBi.  For that I have found no workaround.  The only thing I can currently recommended is using an application on your computer or updating it manually until someone would like to address this issue.  Otherwise you must put the OBi behind your other router.  You can also join with me on my request for Dynamic DNS support for the OBi by going to the link below and posting your support.  You can also read more about the problem.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4797.0

Long live our new ObiLords!

rudyrednose

Yes, I would like to see the development team add support for dynamic DNS.

To take advantage of traffic prioritization, the Obi202 should be the first device connected to the cable/DSL modem and act as a router, that is Modem---Obi202---WifiRouter---Home_network.  That is the main reason why the 202 was developped, to act as a router.

However, as long as dynamic dns is not supported within the Obi202, I will not be able to connect the Obi202 first,  and in my case I could/should have bought a Obi100 instead...