News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I set up 110 for both GV and landline

Started by galicianer, February 04, 2013, 11:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galicianer

I'm using a panasonic cordless 2-line phone system at home. I'd like to have line 1 as a line line and line 2 as GV.
How do I wire it up?
Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

This is pretty basic stuff. So let us start with the basics:

1. Have you looked at the OBi110 Quick Start Guide found here? From the illustrations there is Line, Phone, Internet and 12-Volt Power Supply.  Please read and report back here.

2. Will you be using the ObiTalk Portal? Given your basic questions, you really should say "Yes" in response to this.  So, look at "Sign Up & Log In at the Obihai Web Site" in the  OBi110 Quick Start Guide.

Felix

Hi galicianer, and welcome to the world of OBi.

This question is better suited "New to Using the OBi / VoIP" forum. In fact, it was asked so many times, that a search may provide an answer that you are seeking.

• Connect an analog phone to the OBi PHONE port. Use the cable currently connected to phone.
  • Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the OBi INTERNET port and the other end to an
    Ethernet port on your Internet router or Ethernet switch.
  • Connect the 12-Volt power adapter to the OBi power jack and a power outlet.
  • Using the supplied RJ-11 telephone line cable, connect the OBi LINE port to an active analog telephone (POTS) line jack

Then you set up GV and you are done ("line line", or POTS line doesn't require set up).

I wish I could say that I came up with these instructions myself - but I just cut and pasted them from OBi110 quick start guide.

Felix

Well, putting sarcasm aside, I think I understand your question.

OBi110 has only one port for the phone. Therefore, you will use your line 1 of the phone to make and receive calls on both GV and PSTN lines. If it's a desk phone where one person is talking anyway, then it doesn't matter - you will be able to switch between GV and PSTN calls in better ways than 2-line phone allows you. However, if you have additional handsets, 2-line phone allows two people have simultaneous conversations. OBi110 does not allow it.

In summary, you can use GV and POTS, but you cannot use Line 2 of the phone with OBi110.

Hope that answers your question - and yes, it was also asked and answered many times before.