News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

missed 1 digit when dialing US number 252- and I got connected to Somalia(252)!

Started by onepolarbear, February 04, 2013, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianobi

It just goes to show how personal digit maps are!

How about we delete the xx. rule and replace with:

x.88351x.

lhm.

The number can be dialed three ways through GV, +8835100xxxxxxxx , 0118835100xxxxxxxx or 8835100xxxxxxxx . Would x.88351x. work dialing 8835100xxxxxxxx ?

ianobi

I don't use GV as it's not free where I live, so it's good that you feed me this info  :)

x. means none or more digits. Only digits, so it would not include "+". Trying again:

@.88351x.

This means none or more alphanumeric characters, followed by 88351, followed by none or more digits. It should cover all the cases you mentioned.

It may seem like a lot of trouble, but that xx. rule can create a lot of problems! Of course, if you do not use iNum, then there's no need to replace the xx. rule with anything.

infin8loop

If you don't have to dial 8 digit numbers of some other type then another DigitMap to handle iNum numbers:

<0118835100>xxxxxxxx

Just dial the last 8 digits of the iNum and let this DigitMap prepend the rest to save key strokes on the number pad. I included the '011' because it works on both GV and voip.ms.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

lhm.

ianobi

@ infin8loop - Using <0118835100>xxxxxxxx there is a small danger of the first eight digits of ten or eleven digit numbers being matched to this rule. If your memory is as bad as mine and you look at the number written down somewhere after the first eight digits, then after two seconds this rule will match.

You could add a delay such as <0118835100>xxxxxxxxS4 which would give memory challenged people like me four seconds to continue dialling my ten or eleven digit number.

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic. Please don't throw your newly aquired bomb at me  :D

infin8loop

I have a sudden urge to throw some tea into the nearest harbour and then throw a pint back at the local pub.  ;D

Yeah, yeah, add whatever "S" delay allows enough time to have a nice cup of tea and crumpets. An ending "#" sign after 8 digits would still speed up the dialing I guess.

I having VG7 configured for iNum via a **7 prefix and 8 digits suggested elsewhere by RonR.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher