News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Obi handles DNS changes

Started by buster, February 05, 2013, 09:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I have my 110 behind a router.  It's assigned a specific IP and I have UDP 5222 and TCP 433 open to it.  I'm using Call Centric and GV.  How does the 110 handle it when my ISP changes DNS?  I don't seem to have a trouble getting incoming calls, so I assume the providers are somehow "told" about the change. 

Felix

I assume, when you say "my ISP changes DNS" you really mean "my ISP changes IP address that DHCP issues". Changing "DNS" (that is, IP address of DNS server) would go completely unnoticed by the adapter.

does it ever happens "out of the blue"? In other words, if the router is up and running, and OBi is registered - IP address would suddenly change?  :o I can imagine you might have problems until the next registration (your adapter registered on the server with one IP address, and now it has another one). But as I said, I've never seen it happening... And if it happens after whatever brief loss of connectivity, adapter will register with the server with new IP...

ProfTech

You stated that your Obi is using a static [or fixed] IP address as assigned by your router. As long as that is true you should have no problem. Your router may get a new IP address from the ISP once in a while but the Obi 110 / 100 introduced a feature a while back that seems to keep everything working seamlessly when the IP for the router changes. It is "X_DiscoverPublicAddress". Since you are using Callcentric as your provider the Obi re-registers every once in a while. When this happens the new [router] IP address should be updated & changed in the Obi. It is important to note that you should keep using a fixed or Static address for the Obi because if your router does assign a new IP to the Obi, it may cause it to reboot.