News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV won't take port - other options?

Started by CoreyV, February 05, 2013, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyV

For background, I set up my Obi100 with my randomly assigned 407 area code GV# - all works well on outgoing and incoming calls to the 407#.  I ported my 309 area code landline to a t-mobile phone in order to try port it to my GV in place of the 407#, but GV doesn't support/take 309 area codes.  So I'm kind of caught in no-man's land looking for a home for my 309 landline#.

AT&T (my cell provider) has a home cell service for $10/month.  I could port my 309 landline# to AT&T and use that service for my "home phone".  The only downside I see is AT&T will lock me in for 2 years - if GV becomes available for my 309 area code I'd have to wait.

I've also looked at CallCentric as an alternate VOIP option, but I'm not sure it's the right option for me.  Unless I'm reading their site wrong, I would need two subscriptions (one for incoming and a second for outgoing).  The cheapest non per minute plan is the 500 minute outgoing for $7/month and personal unlimited incoming for $6/month for a total cost of $13/month (more than the AT&T home cell option).  The plus side is there's no contract commitment and I think they do at least forward voicemails.

Am I missing something in the CC option?  At this point I'm leaning towards the AT&T home cell service since it's only $10/month.

I really liked the GV integration - being able to forward the voicemails and missed calls to our gmail accounts or sms to cell,  forwarding calls to one of our cell#s.  I'm not sure either AT&T or CC can replicate that kind of functionality though.

Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

> Am I missing something in the CC option?  At this point I'm leaning towards the AT&T home cell service since it's only $10/month.

Yes. All their plans, even the 100% free ones, can receive incoming calls. In fact, the 100% free deals can do nothing more than receive incoming calls. That detail might not jump out at you from their explanations.

CoreyV

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on February 05, 2013, 10:04:39 AM
Yes. All their plans, even the 100% free ones, can receive incoming calls. In fact, the 100% free deals can do nothing more than receive incoming calls. That detail might not jump out at you from their explanations.

I want my home phone to just like it did before though - receiving and placing outgoing calls.  The free version and the Unlimited Incoming plan I referred to only appear to have incoming calls - I want to freely place outbound calls too.

So, do I understand CC correctly that I need two plans for incoming and outgoing to/from any phone in the US (not just other CC customers, etc)?

RFord

You could port your number to Anveo, who have a free porting special going on right now and pay $24 for one year (actually 13-months) for free incoming calls to that DID and $0.80/month for e911.  You can explore their outgoing options and use GV for outgoing for calls where your callerid is unimportant.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27945327-Anveo-Can-you-port-a-number-to-an-Anveo-qfreeq-accou

CoreyV

Quote from: RFord on February 05, 2013, 11:44:58 AM
You could port your number to Anveo, who have a free porting special going on right now and pay $24 for one year (actually 13-months) for free incoming calls to that DID and $0.80/month for e911.  You can explore their outgoing options and use GV for outgoing for calls where your callerid is unimportant.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27945327-Anveo-Can-you-port-a-number-to-an-Anveo-qfreeq-accou

Thanks.  But in my super quick view, Anveo looks more complicated than I want to deal with.  I'm looking to replicate my current situation - home phone dials out with our home# identifier (people we call - we want to display the # they know us as) and take incoming calls on our home#.  And the closer to plug and play setup for me, the greater chance I have our selecting the option.

GV was easy to setup with the Obi and that's what I would do if I could port my #.  AT&T is now appearing to be the easiest setup and most similar setup to our old landline mode.  Even at $10/month for AT&T, I'll still save about $50/month over what I was paying with a landline service.

carl

Callcentric can certainly replicate the functionality of GV and far more than that, but it is a bit pricey. Check with Localphone .com whether they can port your number ( $ 25 to do that). if so, you pay 1 $ a month for unlimited DID and 0.5 c/ min for outgoing US calls.