News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bought two Obi's, If I take a trip to Europe, can I just plug it in, & call USA?

Started by dircom, February 06, 2013, 08:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

1  Bought an Obi 110 for an extra phone #.  Bought a 100 for my daughter who had internet but no phone service.  Working great!  
If I take a trip to Europe and take my 110 with me will it work just like in the US, or am I limited to 9 digit OBI to OBI calls?

2  (does a "travel" power adapter work ok?)

3  Some apartments or hotels just have wireless access.
 will a router in Wireless Client mode connect an OBI 100 or 110 to a network ok?

4  Sent a couple of faxes, that seems to work ok

5  I read the "Favorite Tricks" post, but didn't see any that were useful for me.  For a person who is just going to use this to make USA only phone calls 99.99% of the time, are there any neat things to do with this?  I do have a POTS line where the 110 is used.

thanks

giqcass

Make sure you set the OBi up before you go overseas with a Google Voice account or a sip account.  The OBi doesn't much care where you are as long as you have internet access.  There a are a few countries that will present problems because they block certain service but so far as I know you should be fine anywhere in Europe.  I can't comment on the power adapters.  

So far as connecting to the internet where only wifi is available.  I hear some hotels have adapters available but I wouldn't count on it.  Some routers have the ability to connect the way you want and some do not.  Consult your manual or purchase a gaming internet adapter that has a rj45 plug will work.  Those adapters may require a laptop for initial setup.  
I'm not recommending this adapter but here is a link for reference so you can see what type of adapter I am talking about.  They are made by many vendors.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-PC-Laptop-XBOX-PlayStation-etc/dp/B008CV8ST4/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360190819&sr=1-23&keywords=gaming+adapter

Favorite tricks you say.  Well it's more a function then a trick but the OBi will make and receive calls just like you were in the USA.
Long live our new ObiLords!

dircom

I have a DLINK G730AP Wireless Pocket Router
Will try it when I get a chance and will post results when I do
It supports multiple operation modes including: Access Point (AP) mode to create a wireless connection; Router mode to share an Internet connection; and Wireless Client mode.

Its odd when I look at connected devices to my regular home router, I do not see the OBI listed

carl

In most if not all European countries your Obi will work just fine. You do not need an power adapter, just a plug adapter depending on the country or countries you travel because they have different power outlets. Other than that you just use the Obi the same way as at home.
I have no experience with the wi fi adapter.