News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Offline after DHCP re-relase

Started by eaglesvr, December 20, 2012, 11:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglesvr

I use two OBI-110 units. One at my home, and the second I sent abroad to Ukraine to my relatives. Have troubles with that remote one. Their internet provider uses weird policy for DHCP lease:– IP gets changed every other day. And OBI-110  loses connection to OBITalk network when a new IP is allocated. The unit  is shown as brown icon, status Offline. Calls to the unit via ObiTalk return …"Call was rejected by service provider"”
After power recycle the unit  on remote side returns to normal Online status. So my call procedure is: use international long distance,  call over there and ask to reconnect power, then call back via OBI -– looks quite awkwardly.
  Tried to assign static IP to the unit- but this is a local network, and the issue is WAN IP. Placing OBI to router DMZ did not help either. Looks like after IP change OBI110 won't reconnect back to OBITalk provider. Never got this issues with the local adapter.
Any ideas are welcome.

QBZappy

eaglesvr,

Welcome.

It is not clear from your description if you are using the OBiTALK service to call the other unit (dial **9), or concerned that you don't see the green icon. Rebooting the OBi unit might be fixing more than the OBiPORTAL connection.

Quote from: eaglesvr on December 20, 2012, 11:40:22 AM
  Tried to assign static IP to the unit- but this is a local network, and the issue is WAN IP. Placing OBI to router DMZ did not help either. Looks like after IP change OBI110 won't reconnect back to OBITalk provider.

Sounds like you have access to the far end router as well.

A few things you might try:
1) I don't know if a stun server would be any help with the OBiTALK service. However it seems to be generally accepted folklore that it is built around the sip protocol. This would be a way to keep WAN<->LAN ip connections "live".

2) set up port forwarding on the router to go to the OBi unit. You should be able to save yourself the cost of the long distance call.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

eaglesvr

I use only **9 service to connect these two OBI's.
I don't care about green icon, but the connection does not work neither.
But now I think I may try to   duplicatie it with another SIP connections. I use GV as Sp1  on my side but SP2 is available. The same on the remote side.
About providing remote admin access to OBI. I remember I had it in DMZ some time ago and could connect to it. Don't remember details, but looks like remote reboot did not help- only power recycle. And still I need to manage somehow to configure their router with services like dyndns- to be able to go to their host.
Will try again with this option

QBZappy

eaglesvr,

dynamic ip changes are common., that is why work arounds like dyndns exist. If you see that the OBiTALK network is offline until the next cold restart, then that is an issue only OBihai can resolve. I believe I have spotted a others complaining about same/similar behavior.

Options:
1) If you have a fixed ip it is possible to have the far away OBi connect to your OBi peer to peer. No server is required. I don't know if you can call them after their ip would change, however their OBi should be connected to yours reliably 24/7 using this set up (I think). As a matter of fact this would be the power users preferred method avoiding any 3rd party servers, I would think.

2) Trying sip with STUN server settings is the other way to go. Get yourself a free sip2sip ( https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml ) account and see if that helps.

In any case it would be interesting to know why a reboot will not fix this, or why is should happen at all. I would consider sending in a support ticket while you are troubleshooting this.
http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm.php

Good luck.

PS
Did you try using the STUN server setting? Any results?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Portporty

Try dynu dynamic DNS service at dynu.com. It's free and relaible. IP updates really fast and support alias for subdomain.

magicalbum

I have a similar issue. My OBi110 works fine when I turn it on with the network up but it does not work when the network goes down or when I bring it up when the network is not ready. I need a way to either have it retry to connect at certain intervals or at least have the start up timeout be extended so that it will wait for the network to be ready. Please let me know if this is possible and how to do so.

JohnOR88

Symptoms: Obi110 telephone connection LED (3rd from left) turns off.  Cannot connect to Obi device via the web browser.

Hopeful Solution:  I just found yesterday that the static IP I assigned to my Obi110 was in the range my router uses for DHCP.  I change the range the router uses so the Obi IP is not in it.  So far, the Obi has remained connected.

LeoKing

I set the static IP's for my 2 OBi110's on the router (in its DHCP server range) using their MAC's. I've never had problems with this setup.