News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using a Linksys Wireless G Router (&Obi100) to ConnecttoaNetGearWirelessNRouter

Started by Bob123456789, February 07, 2013, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob123456789

I have an Obi100.  It is configured and working fine.  However, there isn't a phone jack near it.  I would like to connect my Obi100 to my houses phone wiring so that I have wired phone service through the house.  I realize that standard way of doing this is to purchase the Obi wireless adapter and then plug the house phone wiring into the house phone wiring.

I already have a Netgear Wireless N router functioning for my internet access.  I have a brand new Linksys Wireless G router.  It seems like I should be able to wirelessly  connect the LinkSys router to the Netgear router then connect my Obi100 to the Linksys router and my house phone wiring at a remote jack. This would save me the cost of purchasing the obi wireless adapter. 

When I follow the Linksys setup instructions they are designed to configure the router as the only access point from my cable modem, not to connect to the existing wireless point. 

Should what I am proposing work?  If so, what are the steps I need to follow to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for helping work through this.

Rick

Purchasing an OBi wireless adapter is not the standard way of powering all your house phone outlets.  It IS a way to connect an OBi 202 (not a 100 or 110) to your home network.

You are saying that you don't have a phone jack near where the current router sits, nor in reach of the OBi 100 that plugs into that router.  Therefore, you have several options:

1) With a wireless phone that has a base and any number of receivers, plug the base into the OBi and all the receivers will work fine.  No phone jacks needed.

2) Reposition your cable modem and router to be in a room near a phone jack.  Often this is quite easy, you just need to know where your cable comes into the house, where it goes from there to the cable modem, etc.   

3) Purchase a wireless distribution system (WDS) router, that is designed to connect wirelessly to another router.  You can look on the Linksys site, but I suspect the router you have is not designed to do that.

azrobert

I converted a Linksys WRT54G to a wireless bridge by installing DD-WRT firmware.

Here is their Web Site:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

You MUST follow their instructions exactly or you could brick your router.

Edit:
Just to be clear.
After you install their firmware it's still a router, then you re-configure it to make it a bridge.

Edit2:
Click on Router Database.
Key in your router model number.
It will tell you if your router is supported.

azrobert

Bob123456789

AZRobert,

This looks like a wonderful solution!  I have a WRT54G2.  I went to their website to start the process.  Unfortunately, my router has firmware version 1.5.  On their list, it is shown as "not possible".  I sent them an email to confirm this.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Rick

I may be wrong, but there is a difference between hardware revision and firmware version.  You're going to flash the firmware, so it is not relevant what version it is.  What matters is what revision is the hardware?  I don't even see 1.5 for that model, it ends at 1.3.

Bob123456789

I am clicking on "Donwloads" then typing "Linksys" in the model numbers.  Their column"Revisions" is what I am guessing means firmware versions.

azrobert

It's the hardware revision number.
It's located on a label on the bottom of the router next to the model number.

QBZappy

Quote from: Bob123456789 on February 07, 2013, 08:40:05 AM
I have an Obi100.  It is configured and working fine.  However, there isn't a phone jack near it.  I would like to connect my Obi100 to my houses phone wiring so that I have wired phone service through the house.  I realize that standard way of doing this is to purchase the Obi wireless adapter and then plug the house phone wiring into the house phone wiring.

Actually I think the standard way is to disconnect the co line from the pots and plug in the OBi at that end. This way your house phone wiring will all be going through the OBi. I don't think the wireless is the only solution. Look up details on how to set ip up here on the forum. It has been discussed many times.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bob123456789

I also have a WRT54G version 6 which is listed.  It is a bit older and probably doesn't have some of the features of the wrt54g2.  But if it works, I can use it.  

Now I need to try to understand the cryptic instructions on how to flash the firmware.

Bob123456789

You are correct.  I was incorrectly referring to the hardware revision as the firmware version.  I am glad we got that straight.

Rick

Quote from: QBZappy on February 07, 2013, 11:15:48 AM
Actually I think the standard way is to disconnect the co line from the pots and plug in the OBi at that end. This way your house phone wiring will all be going through the OBi. I don't think the wireless is the only solution. Look up details on how to set ip up here on the forum. It has been discussed many times.

No phone jack in the room where he has his router, and thus his OBi, though.

Bob123456789

Sorry, I spent some time trying to make sense of the Peacock directions.  I did the hard reset reccomended.

In the wiki instructions:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

I am stumped at step 10  since it is asking for my Netgear user id and password.  I want to upgrade the firmware on my Linksys so clearly something isn't working correctly at this point.

LeoKing

You can also use the powerline adapters like these. Plug one into the AC outlet next to the router, the 2nd one to the AC outlet close to the phone jack for the OBi.

Rick

Quote from: Bob123456789 on February 07, 2013, 01:32:23 PM
Sorry, I spent some time trying to make sense of the Peacock directions.  I did the hard reset reccomended.

In the wiki instructions:

I am stumped at step 10  since it is asking for my Netgear user id and password.  I want to upgrade the firmware on my Linksys so clearly something isn't working correctly at this point.

TURN OFF your Netgear router.  Reboot your Linksys router.  The address you're typing in is your Netgear router.

Bob123456789

Okay.  In the wiki instructions, I was able to get up to step 18.

After I hit "Apply" my explorer just sat there for a real long time.  It never did show "Upgrade Successful".  I powered off my router and tried a second time with similar results.

Any advice?

azrobert

azrobert

Looking at your previous question, you were not following step 5.

Your computer should be connected to the WRT54G and nothing else.

Have you corrected this?

edit:

Did you have a wireless connection to the Netgear router?

Bob123456789

I corrected the netgear issue by turning it off.  I am now at step 18 on the link and having difficulty.  I am going to go to the ddwrt forum for help.