News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie needs simplified explaination for one-stage dialling

Started by elminakid, March 29, 2011, 08:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elminakid

Greetings to all the pros here.... Would someone please take a moment to explain, as simply as they can, what one-stage dialling and second stage dialing is? purpose and benefits if any. Thanks.

jimates

two stage dialing is when you call into the Obi and then use the Auto Attendant to place a call through the prompts.

single stage dialing is when the second step is done for you. You just dial a number and your call is place through the Obi automatically. The Obi uses caller id with pre configured settings to place your call.

In either case the callee receives the call as normal with no indication of the call route.

elminakid

jimates.... thanks for your explaination. Question then is how do I configure for one stage dialing?

jimates

single stage dialing is only possible from another endpoint (Obi device or Obion app).

for an app,
click on the softphone number in your account, above your Obi device in the list. Select the "Obi Voice Gateway" that you want to use with that softphone number. You log into the app using your Obitalk credentials and that softphone number becomes the Obi number for that app. Since you have already selected the default gateway for that softphone, you just dial a 10 digit number and it is routed through the default gateway using the configuration of the device.

If you have sp1 as the default line in the device then that is the line that will be used to route the call from the app. You can edit the call route to change the path of the calls from the app if you want. So if you route through sp2 then sp1 will still  be available for incoming & outgoing calls from the Obi itself.

From another Obi device,
The Obi device has to belong to the circle of trust for the other one in order to access it's service.
Single stage dialing from one device to another is accomplished by using a speed dial setting. You put the Obi device in your speed dial list and then append that speed dial location with * before the desired number.

example: obi in speed dial location 2. Press 2* + 10 digit # to dial direct through the second Obi using it's configuration.
this will be most popular for overseas calling.

Calling from a regualr phone number,
If you are calling from a regular number you will have to access the Auto Attendant and use 2 stage dialing.  your number has to be in the circle of trust in order to acces the AA.

elminakid

senerio:
obi device  1 in new york 200111222
Obi device 2 in London 200999000
both are in each devices C of T

From Obi device, 200111222
Can I call a locall number or cell phone number in London

I'm I asking for the impossible?

jimates

You bet, as long as the one in London has a service configured on it that can call one of those phones.

You can access any service that the one in London uses by just dialing into it. Direct dialing uses the default service.

If you want to call the Obi itself and talk to someone that answers the phone port or if you want to access a service other than the default one you call the Obi number itself and access through the Auto Attendant.

QBZappy

elminakid,

You might also consider setting up a "Simultaneous ring" call strategy. This will ring both the OBi phone and the cell phone.

(Ref: obi-support2):
Some examples with SP1 InboundCallRoute:

{ph,SP1(12345678),SP2(11112234),SP2(44445555)}, OR

{(33931111|3399xxxx):ph,PP(ob200123456),SP2(11112234),SP2(44445555)}

If it interests you, have a look here for a discussion of this.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.msg3134#msg3134
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Kaizer

hi,

i configured my obi with gv on sp1. added a phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx without the dashes) under trusted callers (obitalk site). when i call my gv number from the above phone number, obi doesn't answer. how do i get obi to answer and go into aa so that i can make a 2-stage dialing? tia

QBZappy

Kaizer,

Do you want to get the AA from the same OBi you are using to make the call?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

Quote from: Kaizer on March 31, 2011, 12:34:55 AM
hi,

i configured my obi with gv on sp1. added a phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx without the dashes) under trusted callers (obitalk site). when i call my gv number from the above phone number, obi doesn't answer. how do i get obi to answer and go into aa so that i can make a 2-stage dialing? tia
Is your google voice set up to display the caller id from the incoming call, or is it set to display your GV number?

this is a simple set up on the Obi and should work correctly as you described the set up. If you have used the web portal to the Obi did you disable auto provisioning? Auto provisioning has to be enabled in order for settings from the Obitalk portal to  be configured.

Check the call history on your Obi and make sure the correct caller id was received. You can also see where the Obi routed the call to.

Kaizer

auto provisioning is set to periodically. is that good?

i did a long power cycle and that fixed the issue. so now when i call from a phone number that is in my trusted caller, i go straight into AA. but i discovered another issue. when i remove a number from trusted caller, obi now blocks calls from that number (a long long silence then a busy tone).

RonR

Quote from: Kaizer on March 31, 2011, 09:29:40 PM
auto provisioning is set to periodically. is that good?
Auto Provisioning allows the OBiTALK configuration facility to update your OBi, if necessary, on every reboot.  To configure using the OBiTALK facility, you must have Auto Provisioning enabled and you must not make any changes locally/manually to the OBi itself as they will be overwritten on the next reboot.  If you prefer to configure the OBi locally/manually, you must disable Auto Provisioning.

Traveler

Quote from: jimates on March 30, 2011, 11:40:04 AM
From another Obi device,
The Obi device has to belong to the circle of trust for the other one in order to access it's service.
Single stage dialing from one device to another is accomplished by using a speed dial setting. You put the Obi device in your speed dial list and then append that speed dial location with * before the desired number.

example: obi in speed dial location 2. Press 2* + 10 digit # to dial direct through the second Obi using it's configuration.
this will be most popular for overseas calling.

i got this part working by going Obi device to Obi device. but how come it can't be as simple as using ObiON where you just punch in the 10 digit phone number once you've gotten ObiTalk to reroute to the Obi device with the outgoing call service? ie calling a USA number by just picking Phone attached to Obi and punching in the 10 digit number instead of Speed dial to remote Obi * 10 digit phone number.

i would think you should be able to configure Obi device with SP1 as remote Obi device (which is already configured with sp1 configured with GV).

jimates

it is almost as simple, just 2 more buttons to press in the dialing sequence.

Obi 1 must be in the COT of Obi 2.
Put Obi 2 number in the speed dial list of Obi 1 (example, speed dial 4).
Pick up the phone attached to Obi 1 and dial  4 * xxx xxx xxxx
The call goes out from Obi 2 on the default line.

With the Obion app you assign an Obi as a default gateway. In relationship, when dialing direct through another Obi, you select the Obi you want to dial through by pressing the assigned speed dial number + *.

If both devices are in the same account you don't have to worry with the COT, and the numbers will also already be assigned in the speed dial list.