News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 and asterisk

Started by Boxingfan, February 03, 2013, 05:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxingfan

I got a new job and I have to make a lot of cold calls. I talked to my boss and I got the gist it was ok to setup my own thing as long as I didn't disturb other people (e.g. ask for a static IP address or extra equipment).

For testing purposes, I want to have asterisk inside a VM on my laptop (at least in the beginning)...or bring my Pentium IV asterisk server to work eventually.

On my desk, I have one cat5 cable /w internet access, one digital phone and one Rj-11 with access to the PTSN. I know there is a PBX somewhere, but it doesn't work with IP phones. I don't think the rj-11 is connected directly to the phone company, but management can monitor agent call time and everything.

The PBX was setup half a decade ago and the IT guy is for all intent and purposes not there to help me.

I'd like to use the company's landlines, will Obi110 be enough??? Also, in the Mary video there is a default menu that plays, but I want incoming calls to simply go to the digital hard phone without the  menu, is that possible?

thanks

Felix

Hi, Boxingfan, and welcome to the forum.

Can you explain what is that you are trying to do... What is your current setup and what is the problem with it? You are describing possible solutions - Asterisk, OBi110, without describing the problem that you are trying to solve!

Take a look at the classic guide http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific - it may help you get an answer.

Finally, who is Mary?

Ostracus

Well I believe he's referring to the tutorial video on the Obihai site. Also does the RJ-11 go into the digital phone? I don't think that would work. The Ethernet cable might, but your networking person might need to get involved. e.g. firewall, etc. Also last I checked Asterisk doesn't recommend running under a VM.

Digital Phone vs Analog

Edit: I should clarify the Ethernet will go into the Ethernet port on the Obi110. It will not do a thing for the LINE port.

ianobi

Mary is the demented matchstick girl with phones flying around her head on the OBi home page  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6fcoJM5io

Boxingfan

Quote from: Ostracus on February 04, 2013, 12:22:46 PM
Well I believe he's referring to the tutorial video on the Obihai site. Also does the RJ-11 go into the digital phone? I don't think that would work. The Ethernet cable might, but your networking person might need to get involved. e.g. firewall, etc. Also last I checked Asterisk doesn't recommend running under a VM.

Digital Phone vs Analog

Edit: I should clarify the Ethernet will go into the Ethernet port on the Obi110. It will not do a thing for the LINE port.

yes, that's the case (rj-11 goes into the phone), everything seems to be digital.

How can I circumvent the problem?
Does Obi110 take digital signal?

I taught even the telcos were using all digital now.

Boxingfan

Quote from: Felix on February 04, 2013, 12:09:06 PM
Hi, Boxingfan, and welcome to the forum.

Can you explain what is that you are trying to do... What is your current setup and what is the problem with it? You are describing possible solutions - Asterisk, OBi110, without describing the problem that you are trying to solve!

Take a look at the classic guide http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific - it may help you get an answer.

Finally, who is Mary?

I want asterisk to use the company's digital phone line to make calls. I'd likee
incoming calls to go to the hardphone.

Mary is the matchstick girl as described before.

Felix

You got a new job (congratulations!); your job is to make cold calls. How would tinkering with the phone system help you in doing your job? Even if it does - balance it with the risk that you will break something (or if something breaks - you will be blamed for it). As result, you may lose the ability to do your job (that is, make cold calls) or, worse, lose your job altogether. Ask yourself, is it worth it?

If you absolutely need to make changes in your phone system, may I suggest you buy IT guy lunch, and ask him for advice. He may not be there to help you now (because he may perceive you as being overly enthusiastic and underly knowledgeable... you know the type). But once you are asking him for advice and bribe him with lunch, that may change.

Finally, take a look at this classic book. Read it before you ask your IT guy for advice. In fact, read it before you post questions in technical forums...

Good luck!

Boxingfan

Bro, better beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.

(Espescially in call centers)

Also, it's not a simple matter of bribing the IT guy with a sandwich, because said IT guy (or at least holding the IT title) is making waaaaay more money as a salesman and not in the least interested in IT... He has not touched it in 5 years.

but thanks in any case.