News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

(Solved) Obi202 Call Forward On Busy DOES NOT WORK with Google Voice

Started by se1961, February 11, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

se1961

Hello All--

Just finished setting up my new and wondrous Obi202 device.  I have everything working perfectly except for one thing.

The default X_InboundCallRoute of Ph,Ph2 doesn't work for my purposes: sets off two ringers in every handset all over the house, makes it hard to know if the incoming call is for my family or my work. For this reason, I have set up SP1 and SP2 (home numbers) to use the inboundcallroute {ph} and SP3 (work number) to use {Ph2}. This works fine until somebody is talking on PH1, at which point all incoming calls directed to PH1 go to Google Voicemail.

I would like incoming calls to forward to PH2 if PH1 is occupied, so that family members could accept the incoming call. With that in mind, I tried the instructions at this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3096.0, disabling call waiting, and caller-id call waiting, and enabling call forward on busy, with the call forward on busy number set to {PH2}. For some reason this just isn't working for me-- the phone rings five times and then goes to GV Voicemail. This tells me that disabling call waiting works, but call forwarding doesn't.

Is there something I can tweak to make this work? Or is call forwarding on busy not possible with Google Voice? (It occurred to me as I was troubleshooting that Google Voice might not support that feature, even though the Obi does...)

I'm doing all my configurations directly on the device, with auto-provisioning disabled for security reasons. SP1(GV1), SP2(GV2) routed to Phone Port 1; SP3(GV3) routed to Phone Port 2; default outgoing provider SP1 for both ports, ITSP Profile A for all three service providers.

Thanks in advance. :)

azrobert

The link you supplied gave this example:

QuoteCallForwardBusyNumber = ph2

It looks like you are setting it to {PH2} and not ph2

I don't have an OBi202, so I can't test it.

se1961

Thanks for thinking about this. I have tried both PH2 and {PH2} and neither work. The reason I tried {ph2} was because when I originally set up my device, I couldn't get SP3 to ring only line 2 when I set it to PH2, but I could get it to work when I set it to {PH2}. The forwarding doesn't work no matter how I type it. (I have tried upper and lower case as well, but I presume these commands are not case sensitive...?)

azrobert

Try setting the call forwarding number on SP1 to "sp1(4805551212)

Where 4805551212 is your GV3#

I tested this by setting CallForwardUnconditional to my ISP's phone number.
You can route a inbound call on SP1 out SP1. The default is setup for 2 concurrent calls.

se1961

Okay, this sounds promising-- could you confirm that I should enter all the following settings (copying all characters between "" exactly as written) into my configuration?

Voice Services::SP1 Service::

X_InboundCallRoute set to "ph"

Voice Services::SP1::Calling Features::

CallForwardUnconditionalEnable set to "Enabled"

CallForwardUnconditionalNumber set to "sp1(xxxxxxxxxx)" (where xxxxxxxxx is my sp1 phone number)

CallForwardOnBusyEnable set to "Enabled"

CallForwardOnBusyNumber "ph2"

Thanks so much for your help.

azrobert

I'm sorry for my confusing post.
I set CallForwardUnconditionalNumber because I was too lazy to busy SP1 and use CallForwardOnBusyNumber.

Do the following:

Voice Services::SP1 Service::

X_InboundCallRoute set to "ph"

Voice Services::SP1::Calling Features::

CallForwardOnBusyNumber set to "sp1(xxxxxxxxxx)" (where xxxxxxxxx is your SP3 phone number)

se1961

Thanks for clarifying!

So I entered the settings you suggested:

CallForwardOnBusyNumber set to "sp1(xxxxxxxxxx)" (xxx is the SP3 number) and that didn't work-- well, I mean, it worked, as in eventually it forwarded me to SP1 voicemail, but it never forwarded to PH2. Now I'm off to see what happens if I set CallForwardOnBusyNumber to "sp3(xxxxxxxxxx)". Will report back. :)

se1961

Well here's my report:

When I set CallForwardOnBusyNumber to "SP3(xxxxxxxxxx)" (where xxxxxxxxxx is SP3 number) the call went straight to sp3 voicemail (!?).

So then I set CallForwardOnBusyNumber to "xxxxxxxxxx" (where xxxxxxxxxx is SP3 number) and after 5 rings it rang through to SP1 voicemail, but never rang ph2 at my house.

Then I tried forwarding to a completely different cellphone number, not connected to my OBI202 at all, and the incoming call didn't forward to that number either. Just rang five times and went to GV Voicemail.

I am totally stumped at this point. It seems clear either I am not implementing callforwardonbusy settings correctly, or else there is a limitation with Google Voice. (ie if GV can support two simultaneous sessions, then maybe the number won't register as "busy" until there are more than two sessions on the number?)

If you (or others) have any thoughts I would be most grateful. 

se1961

So I finally got through to Obi Tech support, and it turns out (as I was beginning to suspect) Google Voice does not implement CallForwardOnBusy. Thanks for your help.  :-[