News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai device on Mexico. Does it Works?

Started by GalKonz, February 12, 2013, 03:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalKonz

Hi. I just read about this device on HowToGeek. I live in Mexico, and i want to buy this device and try it out here in this side of the world.

But i have some questions:

1) When i setup this device, i will have a US local number? Or can i configure a Mexican one?

2) My old telephone line number can be configured on the obi device?

3) Does OBI works just like a normal telephone line?

4) What i am trying to do, is to save a lot more on phone bills. I pay around $50 usd dollars a month. I want to pay lot less than that. I normally just do local and cellphone calls (mexican local and cellphones). And rarely use it to call some relatives on California, USA.

Any other information helpful for me?

Thanks

ateo

Quote from: GalKonz on February 12, 2013, 03:26:16 PM

1) When i setup this device, i will have a US local number? Or can i configure a Mexican one?

2) My old telephone line number can be configured on the obi device?

3) Does OBI works just like a normal telephone line?

4) What i am trying to do, is to save a lot more on phone bills. I pay around $50 usd dollars a month. I want to pay lot less than that. I normally just do local and cellphone calls (mexican local and cellphones). And rarely use it to call some relatives on California, USA.

1) Yes
2) No, I could be wrong but I have never heard of porting from landline to VOIP in Mexico.
3) For the end user yes.
4) There are vendors that offer unlimited calls to Mexico for a monthly fee and there are other where pay as you call.  You will need to investigate more about what is best for you.

- You need a vendor that provides Internet only and not a bundle package (I do not think TelMex would do that)
- Configure a Google number (Google Voice) in your OBi.  Since you have relatives in USA you could temporarily use a phone of your relatives to configure Google Voice after you configure it, you do not need their number in your Google account. After this you can make and receive calls from USA and Canada for free.
- You can get a DID in Mexico, there are vendors that provide DIDs in the major cities (DF, Guadalajara, Monterrey).    Anveo (http://anveo.com/consumer/mainphonenumbers.asp ) is a great vendor that provides DIDs from 16 Mexican cities for only $7/month (Unlimited income calls, you pay for your outgoing minutes) and you can configure your OBi to have both, Google Voice and Anveo.

aldo