News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New to OBI - Installed OBI100, bad quality call & constant ring

Started by rcrivera, February 11, 2013, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrivera

Hello All,

Im new to OBI and just installed OBI100 to use with GV.  Call quality is good when calling out but quality on incoming calls are bad.  Callers either say that sound is broken up or I sound like a robot.  I occasionally will also get a constant ring on incoming calls (solid non-stop ring instead of normal ring sequence).  After searching the forums I found that interference and bypassing the wifi router might eb the solution but its still happening.  I also updated the device to the latest firmware.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks-

lhm.

Try this,

Switching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:

1. Dial *** (wait for response) then press 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

rcrivera

Sorry - I forgot to add that too.  I switched to Full Duplex last week and still having problems.  I tried a few tests today and I can hear a caller fine on my end but the other line says that my sound is broken up.

Any other thoughts?

RC

rcrivera

Would ISP speeds have any impact on quality?  I have 10mbps down / 2mbps up roughly (comcast business)

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Shale

rcrivera, are you saying that when somebody else dials you, audio is good both ways? Are you saying that when you dial a call, your audio sounds bad, but the audio that you hear is good regardless of who dials?

Or are you saying that whoever starts the call, your voice is bad for the person at the other end, but the other person sounds good to you?

Whichever, as a test, try turning off or disconnecting other computers from your router. I am wondering if one or more of the other devices is consuming too much of the available upstream bandwidth,

Hyrules

Constant ringing might be a sign that you voip system is being scanned by sip scanners. It happened to a couples of days ago. I had to put some ip address in the X_Accesslist. Although I might be mistakening about your type of constant ringing.

CoalMinerRetired

I like this VoIP quality test for how they interpret the results: http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

- Caution, it requires Java to be enabled in your browser, current/recent security issues may have it disabled.

On the constant ringing and broken sound, try a different phone handset and phone/modular core and see if you get the same results.