News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple OBI100/GV installation issues

Started by MikeS, February 09, 2013, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeS

Just bought an OBI100 after checking all the 5 star reviews, in hopes of phasing out the land line.

After 4+ hours of installation agony, still having multiple problems:
1)  Can't dial in from 2 cell lines and a land line in my house.  Get a "temporarily out of service" message.  Two of these lines initially worked to dial in.  My buddy can dial in normally from his cell, no problems.  Go figure.
2)  My GV number, selected by zip code, is actually located in Palm Springs, CA, 100 miles from my house in "San Diego area (per my GV log). Toll charges would apply from my next door neighbor to my GV number. Not even close to what GV represented, and now they want $10 to change the number.

Other relevant info:
Outbound works OK.
Downloaded and installed GV plug-in, and set up new GV account, as instructed.
Set up OBITalk account and supposedly successfully conected to GV as SP1.
Tried most/all of the remedies for can't-receive-calls, as per forum suggestions...Checked "forward to chat," etc, etc.

Basically, I need to start over with the install and GV number, or return this device to the retailer, if only to make a point.  Although I'd prefer to make it work.

Anyone from OBI out there who'd like to help me make this thing work and avoid a one star review.

Oh yeah, I'm a EE, and spend most of my life on a computer writing test programs, so I think that this is a legit tangle, and not a brain damage error.

Thx in advance.

Rick

If you want OBi to help you,  fill out a support ticket at www.obihai.com.  This is a customer to customer forum.

Your GV number issue has nothing to do with OBi, you get to pick your number and could have looked up local calling area prior to accepting it.

MikeS

"Your GV number issue has nothing to do with OBi, you get to pick your number and could have looked up local calling area prior to accepting it."

Yeah, I know OBI and GV are different entities, but OBI is touting GV to sell their box.

I'm new to GV, and if I select a number by very specific zip code per GV, the number shouldn't show up  100 miles away.  If Google can produce a 360 street view of my house, then it is not illogical to expect that a number offered in a particular zip resides in that zip.  And if not, that I can get some help resolving the issue.

Rick

Google has non-existent customer service. 

mpg793

Quote from: Rick on February 09, 2013, 04:21:34 PM
OBI is only semi. AS for the forums not much better.
Thanks Kindly.  MG..

Rick

Quote from: mpg793 on February 14, 2013, 12:39:25 AM
Quote from: Rick on February 09, 2013, 04:21:34 PM
OBI is only semi. AS for the forums not much better.

Given that the forum questions are answered by customers who give of their own free time, I'm sure we all appreciate your opinion of our support.   :-[

Felix

Hi MikeS, and welcome to the forum.

Your first question is a very good candidate for "New To OBi" forum. Does your device show "Connected" in the control panel? Can you make outgoing calls?

As Rick pointed out, the second question is better suited for Google Voice forum. And of course, none of us is too concerned whether you return the device, put 1 star, or never do business with OBihai or Google in the future ;)