News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 and two phones, go with softphone/voip phone? Or 2nd Obi?

Started by DirtAddsHP, February 20, 2013, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtAddsHP

Hello all,

I have set up an Obi110 for us to make calls at home, it has worked very well for well but i would like a 2nd line for business calls only. Having a single phone with two ring tones would not work for me. I am looking for a 2nd isolated phone that only rings to the 2nd GV account.

From what i have read i can have two GV accounts but only one POTS phone and one soft phone.

Is there a VOIP phone that would integrate with the soft phone in Obi? So i wouldnt need to make calls over my mobile phone using the obitalk app.

If i am incorrect what would be my options for a 2nd physical phone on the obi110?

DirtAddsHP

In more detail i would like to use SP2 with a different google voice phone number. Would i be able to buy a VOIP phone, attach to same LAN as Obi110 is on and have it use SP2? Would that not work?

or other choice to use phone port for current POTs phone and line port for new business line being another POTs phone?

And from what i have read you can only use a single GV account at a time.. not two GV accounts concurrently.

EDIT: After further reading i see the Obi110 has a FXO and FXS lines. Currently the FXS port (phone) is in use by the current phone... the FXO port (line) is not in use, i would like to use the FXO port for a 2nd phone (business line).. If that is not possible would i need an Obi100 and put it on a different network segment though a VLAN or separate router?

From what i have read if you are on the phone though FXS port (sp1), and then someone calls you on the FXO port (sp2) either the first call will drop or second call will go into call waiting queue.

azrobert

The FXO port on an OBi110 is to connect the OBi to a POTS LINE, not a POTS phone. It allows you to receive calls on your Phone Port from the POTS line or make outbound calls on your POTS line from the Phone port. This is useless for what you want to do.

Option 1:
Define 2 GV accounts on your OBi110. Install the OBiON softphone on a computer. Make and receive calls on the computer.

Option 2:
Define 1 GV account on your OBi110. Define a 2nd GV account on Simon Telephonics. Register a VOIP Phone onto your account at Simon Telephonics.

Option 3:
Buy another OBi.

-------------------

The OBi110 requires one of the SP trunks to be defined as SIP for it to communicate with a VOIP Phone, therefore you can't have two GV account and a VOIP Phone.

DirtAddsHP

hello azrobert,

thank you for clarifying that for me, further reading explained the FXO port is used for redundancy in the case the internet connection goes out, would seem to failover to POTS line from telecom provider.

If i went with the softphone option would only one GV account be used at a time? In other words if i was on the soft phone and someone tried calling out on the FXS would that drop the softphone call?

Also if i was to go with a 2nd Obi would it need to be on a different network than what my current Obi is? In other words would i need to use a router or between the two Obi's?

LeoKing

I would buy the 2nd OBi110 for only $50 or an OBi100 for under $40. That would work better for you because you can connect 2 different phones to the 2 OBi's and you will not have to put 1 line on hold while answering the other.

I connected my 2 OBI110's to an 8 port 10/100 switch that I bought from Newegg.com for $7 on sale. This switch is connected to 1 of the LAN ports on the router. (The 2 OBi's are on the same network). You can connect them to 2 LAN ports on the router if it has 2 spare ports.

DirtAddsHP

I think going with the obi100 will be the most simple and stress free solution. I kind of want to explore buying an VOIP phone, registering the GV number with Sip and using some other app for inbound calling.. its gonna be a challenge.