News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Looking to get an OBi - have a couple questions

Started by McKeegan, February 20, 2013, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKeegan

Hi all,

I've been investigating the OBi with GV and it seems awesome! I have a few questions before pulling the trigger though:

1.  My plan is to use OBi with just GV (no mobile, no landline, etc). From searching the forums it seems that some other VoIP provider is required in order to use E911, mostly CallCentric? Everyone recommends the $1.50/month plan for E911, but I can't find a plan like that on their website. What do I need?

2.  When calling 911 with the above solution I know they'll get the address information from CallCentric, but if the call is interrupted somehow does the 911 operator have the GV number to immediately call back? Is there any solution that allows this?

3.  Based on what I've told you, is one OBi device better for my needs than another?

Thanks for your help!

CoalMinerRetired

1.) You want Receive Calls > Free Phone Number (Parts of NY State) >  Get a Number etc., etc., etc. When you check out, indicate you want the 911 service.  911 will be the only outgoing call you can make on that type of CallCentric "product".  

2.) For CC's 911 the operator will not see your GV number. And counter intuitively, they will not see your assigned CC number either (but it doesn't matter much, you won't be giving this out). The 911 center will be dynamically assigned a new DID number by CC when you dial 911. This is supposedly how most larger, modern and sophisticated VoIP providers do it.  I read somewhere that with CC you can contact their cust service and ask ahead of time what that dynamically assigned number will be for your account.
> ... Is there any solution that allows this?
Others discuss alternatives on here, I use CC so no experience to relate. Either search or post as a separate question.

3.) An Obi100 will fit your needs. Some small differences exist across the three models in addition to the number of lines (two SPx services in the 110), such as fewer *xx codes (example, you'll have to delete some existing ones to make room for a new Disable Call Waiting for one Call Only star code), fewer speed dial slots I think, and some other differences like that.  Example, look here for the differences in the most recent firmware release for what applies to the 202/302 and the 100/110 models.

lhm.

GV911.com will show your GV # as the call back #. $1.00 per month. ($12.00 per year, no setup fees.)

McKeegan

Quote from: lhm. on February 20, 2013, 12:29:23 PM
GV911.com will show your GV # as the call back #. $1.00 per month. ($12.00 per year, no setup fees.)

That looks perfect, thanks! Signed up already.