News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Powerline Adaptors With An OBi

Started by Stu-be, February 20, 2013, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu-be

Does anybody have experience using Powerline Adapters with an OBi so that one could have their modem and wireless router in one room and their OBi directly connected to the Powerline adaptor in another room of the house?
If you have experience using one, are there any things to be aware of, and is there a particular brand of powerline adapter that you would recommend?

azrobert

Stu-be

Thank you.  Much as I appreciate your information, it does not answer my question.  I am trying to keep this as simple as possible.  I hate messing with wireless routers any more than I have to.

"Does ANYBODY have experience using Powerline Adapters with an OBi so that one could have their modem and wireless router in one room and their OBi directly connected to the Powerline adaptor in another room of the house?
If you have experience using one, are there any things to be aware of, and is there a particular brand of powerline adapter that you would recommend?"

Perhaps, if I am more specific it would help.  I will be temporarily staying in a room in a home that already has an active VOiP phone system that they have absolutely no intention of changing to OBi.  I would like to put MY Existing Wireless Router (already set up for my OBi with GV and Callcentric CNAM in the room connected to their modem.  

I am wondering this...  Can I then run a wire from my Wireless Router to one of those wall plug powerline adapters in that computer room?  I would then put the other powerline adapter into the room where I will be staying, connect my OBi 100 directly to it in that room, and connect my phones to the OBi 100 as they are now, and then (hopefully) be up and running.

N7AS

Both my OBi110 and OBi100 are located near my router connected via an 8 port Gigabit switch. However I do use Powerline Adapters and have my Linksys SPA941 IP Phone connected through one of the adapters. So, I think there should not be any problems using an Obi device in this manner.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

onepolarbear

I bought these Panasonic Powerline adapters back in 2006 or 2007
and they've worked great ever since. (yes, even with the Obi110)
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/BL-PA100A

One adapter is next to my cable modem and 4-port router. 
The other adapter is the basement. 

Ostracus

Well I have two D-Links between my Obi202 and the main router. Works transparently (as any good bridge should).