News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Power Light is Red. Factory Reset does not work...

Started by zoym, February 20, 2013, 10:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoym

:(
after an power outage, my obi110 just did not boot normally.
the power supply is fine, i think, and i also tried another power supply which is under working condition.
the power light just keeps red.
have tried to do a factory reset, by plug-in when holding the reset button with a paper clip.
Looked like reset does not work at all.
The Red keeps there.

What should I do?

Phillip

From the FAQ:
QuoteHow do I perform a factory reset?
1. With a paper clip (or similar) depress the reset pin located at the bottom of the OBi.
2. While keeping the reset pin depressed, plug-in the power cord.
First, the Power LED will turn red, then become sold green.
Keep depressing the reset pin while this is occurring.
3. After 10 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green (slowly).
You may now release the reset pin.
4. Within 5 seconds, the Power led will start to flash green rapidly for about 3 seconds.
5. Next the Power LED will change to red briefly indicating the OBi is now rebooting.
The factory reset is now complete.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

ArbitaryTwist

Quote from: zoym on February 20, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
:(
after an power outage, my obi110 just did not boot normally.
the power supply is fine, i think, and i also tried another power supply which is under working condition.
the power light just keeps red.
have tried to do a factory reset, by plug-in when holding the reset button with a paper clip.
Looked like reset does not work at all.
The Red keeps there.

What should I do?

Do you actually hear the button click when you are pressing the reset button?

DVogel

On my OBi 200 unit, I have the same issue with the solid red light.

I power cycled my modem and router, no luck. Switched ports on my router, no luck. Changed power supplies, no luck. Even followed the factory reset instructions (i.e: remove power, press reset button on bottom of device, plug power in, wait for green light), no luck. With the factory reset method, the red light never went away, even after keeping the reset button pressed for 30-40sec...should I wait longer for before releasing the reset switch?

I have a support request into OBi on this, but wondering if anyone else has any ideas...

sailing

Since a reset and any other recommendations made do not help, I would say the line side was probably fried during a transient during power out or when power returned. If this is the only damage to the obi, you should be able to access the unit by typing the IP address of the Obi into a browser or accessing it through the Obi web site. If the transient came through the ac line, then nothing may work.

When replacing the Obi, I would recommend transient protection for the ac line and the phone and line ports. I believe APC makes this type of protection and there are probably others. The Obi110 offers little protection against line port transients from the POTS line.

DVogel

I tried to look up my OBi on my network map (via the router admin page) and see nothing. On the OBi dashboard, the device comes up as offline, so maybe your idea that it was an AC line transient might be true. The device rang on Sunday morning at around 8am...on the second ring, it basically stopped in the middle of the ring cycle. That was what triggered my investigation.

The OBi unit is plugged into a surge suppressor power strip and none of my other components (laptop, router, printer) experienced any issues or reboots. Also, at that time, there were no brownouts or loss of power in the home.

Anyway, tech support has reached out...so let's see what they say.

sailing

DVogel, my original comment was meant for zoym but I will comment on the Obi110. The Obi110 uses integrated circuits (IC) from Silicon Labs, at least as of a year ago when I looked at the inside of an Obi. The ICs do everything that allows the line and phone side to operate. ATAs used to use a transformer to isolate the electronics from the line. This gave it a significant amount of immunity from transients. With the use of the IC in the Obi, the use of a transformer is not necessary but the immunity isn't as good.

This doesn't mean this is your issue. The subject of the effects of transients in electronics is complex so I present this as only one possibility. Putting transient protection on the Line in and phone out will reduce the possibility of a transient from damaging the Obi. (BTW, phone out transient protection would only be used if you use the house wiring.)

drgeoff

We are not sure yet that zoym has actually reset his 110.