News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Some new Wizards

Started by QBZappy, March 10, 2011, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

The configuration in the "SIP Account Configuration Wizard for ITSP or IP PBX" section of the OBiTALK portal could be setup for common scenarios. In addition to 911 and 411 configs, other popular configs could be set up in this Wizard section. I can think of Callback dial plan which could be included as a useful Wizard. Others can chime in with their own ideas on what they think are good candidates for useful Wizards.

The Obi is too powerful for its own good.  Apps with a lot of features all have one thing in common. They usually are more difficult to use. This could be the second volley in the process of simplifying and reducing service calls regarding the setting up and managing of OBi units. I am certain that questions regarding dial plans rank high on the list of queries they receive. We can get a feel for it on this forum.

This is akin to FreePBX and Asterisk. Because all the heavy lifting is done with FreePBX, it allows many more people to adopt the Asterisk platform. Many people stick with Asterisk because user interfaces for competing PBX platforms are non existent or not good enough. If the Obi team is looking for something which would give them bragging rights on how easy it is to work with the OBi units this might be an interesting concept to consider. Setup some popular preconfigured dial plans, and insert the variables that users may want to include in the Wizard section of the OBITALK web page. All the magic would automatically show up on the OBi unit as dial plan setups, all going to the correct Service Providers previously set up in the Wizard. No other ATA type device comes even close to that in terms of ease of setup. At the moment you still need to be a bit of a geek to understand some of these dials plans. Because the advanced feature settings are done on the OBiTALK web portal a community will be built around the portal site. For those that are concerned about being too dependent on the portal, all the calling features can still be setup on the OBi unit directly if you know what you are doing.

The current state of the art selling feature seems to be the connection to GV. This feature is not under the control of the OBi people. Google may pull the rug under their feet at any time without notice. The ability to create an easy to use product is completely under the control of the bright people at OBi central.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Since it seems that there is no heir apparent for the position of "OBi digimap guru", it might be more relevant than ever to automate this task. I would conservatively guess that well over 70% of the discussions on this forum are related to this topic. A quick look at the thread "Dial plan explanation" ( http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=34.0 ) reveals nearly 30,000 views as of today 2012.06.07. There are countless other threads covering this similar topic. By now, those following this forum long enough have seen a pattern of repetition. Many of the same questions are asked over and over. As a new user, it is only normal to ask a "newbie" type question. That is why the same questions get asked. It seems that even the FAQ is not enough to handle these queries. Human nature as it is, people will always take the easiest path when trying to resolve configuration issues.

The OBi seems to be a BYOD type product that targets consumers who might consider products from Grandstream, Cisco, and others. It may be a stretch to think that it directly competes with mass consumer products like NetTalk, Ooma and Magic Jack. These latter products are intended for ease of use for non tehnical people or those that couldn't be bothered. Never the less, the OBi has the ability/potential to become a hybrid product bridging the BYOD and mass consumer markets.

A "dial plan configurator", in any form, is surely the tool to simplify things for the user. A happy user is a happy customer. I think it is obvious that a happy customer is the engine which stimulates future sales. Win/Win for everyone.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think it is possible to automate this? After all if we can automate the configuration of an Asterisk PBX with FreePBX, the OBi portal is just another web app which can perform similar duties.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Yes to all the questions. Now better documentation from Obihai would go a long way towards that goal. In the mean time a Java-script guru will come in handy.

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on June 07, 2012, 09:04:18 AM

A "dial plan configurator", in any form, is surely the tool to simplify things for the user. A happy user is a happy customer. I think it is obvious that a happy customer is the engine which stimulates future sales. Win/Win for everyone.

Something like this for the Sipura 3000.

QBZappy

Ostracus

Advantages I see are, "goal(s) to shoot for", and "source code availability" so at least any solution wouldn't start from zero.

QBZappy

Did anybody mention OBi "dial plan configurator"

Dial Plan Generator for OBi100/110/202
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28024065-Dial-Plan-Generator-for-OBi100-110-202

Way to go RonR for coming up with a tool to an obvious shortcoming.

infin8loop

Quote from: QBZappy on February 19, 2013, 02:09:21 PM
Did anybody mention OBi "dial plan configurator"

Dial Plan Generator for OBi100/110/202
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28024065-Dial-Plan-Generator-for-OBi100-110-202

Way to go RonR for coming up with a tool to an obvious shortcoming.

The Brits would call that a "nice piece of kit".

<joke>I saw the screen samples but I'm not running it. I don't want my computer to become an enlistee in RonR's zombie bot army.</joke>  But seriously, I'm not running it. LOL
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

QBZappy

Quote from: infin8loop on February 19, 2013, 04:17:54 PM
<joke>I saw the screen samples but I'm not running it. I don't want my computer to become an enlistee in RonR's zombie bot army.</joke>  But seriously, I'm not running it. LOL

Ha! Good one. I hadn't thought of that. We gotta check for a back door! LOL

Ostracus

Yup, good job, RonR. Wonder if this is how he came up with answers so fast? ;)

ianobi

Indeed, it is a "nice piece of kit"  :)

I could not resist having a little play with it. I could well be zombified now  :D  It does seem to cover most normal setups, but only for you NANP type people. Us "rest-of-the-worlders" will just have to keep using the few brain cells that we have left  8)