News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can I plug OBi100 into computer instead of router?

Started by johnnyboy, February 25, 2013, 03:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyboy

I was planning on getting an Obi100. I share an internet connection with the apartment above me. The router is in the other apartment, and the network cable runs down into my computer. Can I connect the ethernet cable from the obi100 to the network card in my computer?

RFord

Why not get a inexpensive/used switch and connect the cable from the router to the switch and also the Obi100 and Computer.  The attached devices would get their IP address from the Router upstairs.

I can't answer the question about the connection to your PC.  Does your PC have two NIC?

Rick

RFord

There is nothing illegal about the setup if he is doing with the explicit permission of the other person.  Given the ever-increasing price of internet, a large number of individuals do share the same connection and split the cost among themselves.  There are some individuals who share their internet wirelessly also.  Come to think about, most subscribers probably use the internet connect less than 20% and it sits idle the other 80% of the time.  No different than those who share the Direct TV/Dish Package...it calls cost sharing  ;D

I know you are going to refer me to the TOS....don't do it!   ::)

Quote from: Rick on February 26, 2013, 04:03:23 AM
Sounds like an illegal connection.

Rick

I'm sure that the Internet Service Provider for his neighbor would view this as a theft of service.  He can't even say he just gets the WiFi signal (like Penny on Big Bang Theory), they actually ran a physical cable.

RFord

Rick:

I thoroughly understand where you are coming from, but you must understand there is nothing the provider can do to circumvent this issue.  Technically, they are being paid for the service by the "neighbor upstairs" and the extension to the person downstairs is technically no different than having another device connected to the main router from within the residence of where this router is housed.  We can discuss this setup ad nauseam, but the facts remain that people are going do what they want to do as long as they think they can get away with it.

EDIT:  BTW, we do not know if he owns both apartment units.  In this case he is simply extending his service downstairs or to the other room downstairs....get it?

hwittenb

Quote from: johnnyboy on February 25, 2013, 06:13:32 PM
I hadn't thought of that. Do you mean something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-066 ?
jonnyboy,

That switch should do it.

Both your computer and the OBi100 will get local network ip addresses from the router upstairs. 

It is still possible, though, for the OBi to have problems with the router's settings. You will just have to attach your OBi to the router to see if all is OK.

RFord

Jonnyboy:

The more I think about it, it might be more cost effective if you got yourself a  inexpensive 4-port wireless router and set it up in Bridge" mode (does not act like a router and still gets its IP address from the main Router setup upstairs).  This will serve as a switch and as a wireless AP for all your wireless needs within your unit.

LeoKing

A switch as suggested above is the most cost effective solution. Newegg.com often has the switches on sale for very low prices. I got an 8 port 10/100 switch for my 2 OBi110's and a couple of network printers for $7 shipped last month.

Lavarock7

Quote from: Rick on February 26, 2013, 04:36:30 AM
I'm sure that the Internet Service Provider for his neighbor would view this as a theft of service.  He can't even say he just gets the WiFi signal (like Penny on Big Bang Theory), they actually ran a physical cable.

Many people have set up service with Fon.Com
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com