News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

MAKE 100m Full DUPLEX the DEFAULT OPTION, not half duplex

Started by kthejoker20, February 26, 2013, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kthejoker20

This will solve almost 80% of people's issues with drop outs, cut outs, missed calls.

IT SO ANNOYING TO HAVE TO MANUALLY RESET IT EACH TIME AFTER FLASHING NEW FIRMWARE.

NO ONE USES HALF DUPLEX ANYONE.  OMG.

THE SOURCE OF ALL THE FRUSTRATING PROBLEMS WITH THIS PRODUCT.

nekote

Care to be more specific as to exactly what / where the drill down to the parameter is?

kthejoker20

Quote from: Shale on March 27, 2013, 02:33:34 PM
I doubt the 80% claim.

See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3788.0 for the easy way to change.

I know how to change it.  You missed my point above.

NEW customers will not want to program this device.

It should be full duplex out of the box.

Smee

Quote from: kthejoker20 on April 12, 2013, 08:15:32 PM
I doubt the 80% claim.

See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3788.0 for the easy way to change.

I know how to change it.  You missed my point above.

NEW customers will not want to program this device.

It should be full duplex out of the box.

I agree.  The change made a huge difference in dropouts once I made the change, but having to search the forums only to find the solution was a little annoying.  100 full should be the default.

Smee

Crow550

Using the maximum port speed as the default makes sense to me.  ;)

Rick

Typing in all caps is not needed...

OBi has shown no interest in putting any requested features in products, nor responding to the forum.

carl

Quote from: Rick on April 21, 2013, 04:13:23 PM

OBi has shown no interest in putting any requested features in products, nor responding to the forum.

Very true and somebody may wonder why....

geeksalive

I doubt the 80% claim.

That doesn't say how to switch between full and half-duplex for the ethernet ports. It only tells how to change between 10 mbps and 100 mbps.

SteveInWA

Quote from: geeksalive on March 31, 2019, 05:57:00 AM
I doubt the 80% claim.

That doesn't say how to switch between full and half-duplex for the ethernet ports. It only tells how to change between 10 mbps and 100 mbps.

That's because you are posting in a five-year-old discussion that is no longer relevant, as it was about the now-discontinued 100 series.  The current models are 100Mbps full-duplex by default.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 31, 2019, 09:15:34 AM
The current models are 100Mbps full-duplex by default.
I believe that the currently models use 802.3 clause 28 auto-negotiation (previously known as N-Way), so with the rare exception of 100/half switches/hubs (yes, I did actually have one), that will typically result in 100/Full.  And all switches that support 1Gb/s are required to support auto-negotiation (even though 1G/half is extremely rare), and negotiation at higher speeds (2.5Gb/s to 40Gb/s) are full duplex only.  Note there are exceptions for specific commercial (usually long-haul) transport gear (but anyone who has a 64 wavelength DWDM node in their residence should really fully understand what they are doing).

geeksalive

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 31, 2019, 09:15:34 AM...you are posting in a five-year-old discussion that is no longer relevant, as it was about the now-discontinued 100 series.  The current models are 100Mbps full-duplex by default.

This thread doesn't mention any model numbers, but the referenced thread mentions Obi100, Obi110 and Obi202. Though about seven years old, the Obi202 is still a current product.

I found this thread because I have a situation where I suspect that I'm getting only a 10 mbps ethernet connection, most likely due to a problem with my TP-Link router. But, frustratingly, neither the modem, the router, nor the Obi will tell me what speed they're actually running on their Ethernet ports.  (My Obi is a 202.)

The Arris SB6121 modem comes closest. It shows a blue status light for 1 Gbps speed, or amber for 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps. The light is amber, but that doesn't tell me whether it's at 10 or 100. (Tellingly, if I connect the router directly to the modem, with no Obi202 between, the light is still amber, and it should be blue, because both the modem and the router are supposed to have 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet ports.)

Nothing should be running half-duplex anymore, but it occurred to me that if my router is negotiating the wrong speed for its ethernet ports, then it might also negotiate the wrong duplex. (Or maybe not -- I'm not an expert on this.)

SteveInWA

I can't make it any simpler:  this is a non-issue.  The OBi 200, 202, 300 and 302 all run at 100Mpbs, full duplex.  There are no settings that can alter that behavior.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve, vs. just speculating on the Ethernet interface?