News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I set up SP2 with GV, but don't have it ring?

Started by Levander, November 02, 2012, 04:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levander

I'm wanting to add my GV account to SP2 of the Obi device in the house I'm living in.  I'm pretty sure it's an Obi110.  But, I don't want it to ring when I get a call.  I just want to be able to call out and it use my caller-id when I dial **2 first.  Is this possible?  How easy or hard would it be to set up?

Also, if I set it up this way, even if it doesn't ring, if someone happens to answer the phone when I get a call, will they answer the call I'm getting?

jimates

Uncheck the Google Chat as a forwarding phone in the phones list at google voice. You will still be able to place outgoing calls but google voice will not ring the Obi.

Alternative: configured at the Obi.
set the Voice Service -> Sp2 Service -> InboundCallRoute to {}
Incoming calls on SP2 will be ignored. Picking up the phone will not connect the call. The caller will hear ringing until google voice voicemail picks up.

Levander

Wow great, thanks jimates!  I had about given up, but now I got options to make this happen.

Is there anyway to make SP2 not ring, but still be answerable?  E.g., if my mobile phone rings (which is always in my pocket), can I walk over to a phone plugged into the Obi device and answer the call?  Even though the phone isn't ringing.

Also, I'll probably do it the 1st way because that's easier.  But I'm interested in this 2nd way you talk about.  I've seen instructions to set up the Obi device that seem like a combination of menu choices and scripts like you've got below.  But I'm not sure where to make these settings when they're talked about like that.  I've seen there's a web server on the Obi device itself.  Do you go to that web server and make those configuration changes?  I remember reading something that said if you use the web server on the Obi device, you can't use some features on Obitalk to configure your service.  But it wasn't clear to me which features weren't usable.  Am I kind of on the right track as to how to make these changes that look like menu choices as well as scripting?

jimates

I recommend signing into your Obitalk account, click on your Obi in the list of endpoints. From there enter the Obi Expert Configuration.

Leave the InboundCallRoute value set to ph so the calls are delivered to the phone port.
Once you add a service to SP2 it should be assigned "ring profile B". go into ring profile B and go down to Ring Pattern 1. You will edit the field for "Ring Pattern 1"

Uncheck the Obitalk Settings box, the default box will become checked.
Uncheck the default box.
delete the value from the "Ring Pattern 1" box.
scroll to the bottom of the page and submit.

With the field empty the phone will not ring but the phone port is receiving the call.

You can see a spread sheet of the Obi110 configuration settings here
https://docs.google.com/a/thejmart.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZetlc97n9-dFpqUDZ6Wnp1Zm9oRVlBbXc3bkVrTmc

Of course I did not put the ring profile settings in that spread sheet.

MrGadget

Easiest method, Turn off the ringer on the phone. It won't ring, but you can still answer it. ;-)

(unless you want it to ring when the PSTN, or other SPx phone rings)

Levander

Great, thanks jimates!  Worked fine.  Your instructions were just enough to do it right.

I realize this is an old thread now, but I just got around to trying it...

Only disappointment was if I ever want to reset my Obi device back to defaults, Obitalk.com doesn't make it so easy.  I played around with it a little and found the "Reset OBi Expert Config" button.  This does revert the value from the Ring Pattern 1 text box value back to "60;(.4+.2,.4+2)".  But it makes the "Device Default" column checked, instead of the "ObiTALK Settings" column checked like it was before I started messing with this stuff.

The UI on ObiTalk.com seems to be differentiating between a configuration on ObiTalk.com and a configuration on my Obi device itself (which is called OBi Expert?).  Is that how it works, there are 2 separate configurations?  I'm wondering how well messing with the device configuration is going to coexist with the OBiTalk configuration, or if it's just going to become a mess that would be fine for more advanced users.  But maybe people who just want to stay regular end users, may be they REALLY don't want to mess with it?