News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Analog Line / VOIP Phone

Started by TheWitch, March 02, 2013, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWitch

I'm having trouble wading through all the technical details.  I'm an accountant, so I don't understand any of it.  I have a simple question that I'm sure is answered somewhere, but I'm unable to find it.

I have a Comcast Voice.  It's VOIP but it converts and runs over the analog wire throughout the house.  I have a set of IP phones from my office that I no longer need there.  I'd love to use them in my house.  I need an OBI device that can plug into the analog port in my wall, then convert the signal so I can plug an IP phone into the converter and use it.

Please help.

RFord

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish here.  Under normal circumstances, the IP phones are used independently of an ATA such as an OBi device.

Are you planning on getting rid of the Comcast Voice?

If yes, would you want to use your IP Phones with a SIP provider (Callcentric, Anveo, VOIP.ms, etc.) as standalone Phones, without the need for analog phones that plug into the wall jacks?

Why are you looking at getting an OBi ATA and why do you think you need this in order to use your IP Phones? 

Please supply the Model number of the IP Phones and possible a link to the details of the phones.  Answer to these questions go a far way in answering your questions.

TheWitch

So here's the phone  http://www.panasonic.com/business/psna/products-home-business/sip-communications/Hosted-Open-Source-Market/KX-TGP550.aspx

I hadn't planned on getting rid of comcast.  I may be mistaken, but I understood that Obi made converters for this type of solution.

Perhaps my solution lies in another method.  I understand these devices also convert a regular internet signal into a VOIP tele line (without a traditional VOIP provider).  Could I plug the IP phone into an OBI device, and plug the Obi device into my ethernet port and use google voice perhaps?

RFord

O.K, I think I have a better understanding of what you want to accomplish.  BTW, I have a smilar Panasonic IP Phone, the KX-TGP551, which is essentially the same phone.

IF you want to keep the Comcast Voice Line and be able to answer and make calls on the KX-TGP550 IP Phones (base Unit and Handset), what you can do is to get a OBi110 and connect the Comcast Line to the LINE port of the OBi110.  You can now answer calls on the Phone attached to the Phone port of the OBi110.

Now, you will need to setup the OBi110 as describe below to to get incoming/outgoing to work on the KX-TGP550:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1923.0

and

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

With this setup, you can back-feed the Phone Port of the OBi110 to one of your wall jacks so that other analog phones in your home will continue to work.  With the setup above, you need a SIP provider [or a pseudo-SIP (127.0.0.1)] on SP2 for the above to work.

Of course, once you have the OBi110, you can setup GV voice on SP1 for free US and Canadian calling and you will not need the Comcast Voice.

You can avoid all this and just setup your IP Hone with a SIP provider and use it as a standalone System (no need for OBi110) or Comcast Voice.  You could purchase some additional handsets for the TGP-550, so there is no need for any analog phones at all).  You can even setup free GV calling on one line of the Panasonic TGP-550 using Simon Telephonics (I have 3 Free GV lines setup on my TGP-551, along with 3 other VOIP providers).