News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Splitting the OBi Phone Port

Started by bsdaiwa, March 02, 2013, 07:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

Does anyone know if I can put a RJ11 two line splitter on the phone port of an OBi 110? I need to run one line to a local phone another to the RJ11 jack that supplies the rest of the house. I have a DSL connection and the POTs line is attached to a filter then to the OBi. I would like all the phones to have access to the OBi and in order to do that I need to split the port in the manor described.

Thanks for any advice.

hwittenb

Yes you should be able to attach all your house phones to the OBi as long as they are not also connected directly to the PSTN line.  There is a maximum number of phones that the OBi's ring voltage can ring for an incoming call.  The OBi specs say the Maximum Ring Load is 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number).  As long as the sum of the REN numbers for each phone connected does not exceed 5.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: hwittenb on March 02, 2013, 08:18:34 AM
Yes you should be able to attach all your house phones to the OBi as long as they are not also connected directly to the PSTN line.  There is a maximum number of phones that the OBi's ring voltage can ring for an incoming call.  The OBi specs say the Maximum Ring Load is 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number).  As long as the sum of the REN numbers for each phone connected does not exceed 5.

Thanks, so do you feel its ok to attach a RJ11 two line splitter to the phone port on the OBi?

hwittenb

Quote from: bsdaiwa on March 02, 2013, 09:24:36 AM
Thanks, so do you feel its ok to attach a RJ11 two line splitter to the phone port on the OBi?
Sure it just hooks the wires together.  Most of the splitters I have seen might block other port attachments though and you might need to remote it somehow.

giqcass

I have my OBi set up in a similar fashion so yes it can work.
Long live our new ObiLords!

bsdaiwa

Great input, thanks to all for their guidance.