News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Experiences using same associated gmail and google voice number

Started by bamaboy, April 24, 2012, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamaboy

I am still unclear about one thing and was wondering what some of your experiences are regarding this setup.  I use the same gmail account and the google voice number associated with it.  Some people say to setup up a separate gmail and gv number to use solely for the obi line setup.  Now, I have had numerous occasions, nearly all the time, whereby I keep my gmail acct (web page email)/and my only gv number open on my pc and on my cellphone, and have never had any conflicts that I know of arise.   I do not, however, keep google chat open on anything, it doesn't even show up on the bottom left side of the gmail (with the green phone) email web page and is turned off in gmail settings, chat is not loaded (but I did make the initial call and then uninstalled the chat function).  However google voice is still loaded on my pc all the time (shows up at the top right with the phone icon on my chrome browser) and my cell.  Wondered what some of your experiences have been and if this really indeed cause a conflict of some sort.  If a conflict happens, when is it supposed to?   Is there something potentially adverse that could happen here?  Feedback appreciated.

sic0048

I think the real issue comes when you have Google Chat open on some computer and you are logged into the Obi's Google account on that computer.  After all, the Google Voice system is set up to forward all calls to Google Chat.  If google chat is open on some computer, and that computer is also logged into the google voice account, then it clearly is possible for the calls to be routed to the computer instead of the Obi device.

I have removed Google Chat from the computer that would be used to check email and voice mails and also do not have a problem.

bNax

Forgive me for barging in, but I want to be sure I'm following this correctly:

1) My Obi gv account is the same as my primary gmail account. After reading thru multiple threads here, PRIOR to setup, I installed Google's chat software, then made the initial call from my computer. After everything tested ok post setup, to preclude potential problems, I turned off gmail chat from within gmail. Looking at the above posts, it appears that I can now uninstall that chat software, since I have no intentions of using it from within gmail. Correct?

2) I've configured that main (now Obi) gmail account to forward all mail to a different gmail addy. Thus, since the Obi hookup, I have not accessed that gmail account from a browser. If I ever do access that gmail account from a browser, i will do so only during wee hours of thr night to minimize odds of an incoming call. So far, so good, correct?

3) Am I upping the chances for a conflict if I sign into & access Google Voice (not gmail itself) from a browser? Also, is there a potential problem accessing GV from an iPhone/iPad app dedicated to GV access (not a browser)?

4) Is there a potential problem if I use a smartphone app (NOT a browser) to pull/access ANY google service related to that main google account, such as Goole Reader?

Thanks to everyone who posted through the years. Made it much easier to get things together at the onset. I ask these questions to ensure I don't inadvertently futz things further down the line.

mbaltozer

You sure like making things difficult, huh? None of those questions even make any sense, and the answer to all of them is no. How pointless would the service be if you could never log in? There is one and only one potential conflict, here. Being signed into google chat via gmail could keep the obi from ringing. Signing out of chat avoids this issue. And NO, you can't uninstall it. Not sure where you got such an idea. It's part of gmail.