News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming SIP to Google Voice to leverage VM and call tracking

Started by Yannick, March 03, 2013, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yannick

Hello,

I have been scratching my head for some time to figure out what sounds an easy requirement: I have GV (on SP1) and a Belgian DID with Localphone (LP) and want both to use the GV call management (conditional answer, vm by gmail and GV app,...). While not relevant to my problem, I also use FreeVoipDeal for my non-US outbounds (SP2).

So far, my setup is that I have my DID forward to the GV number through PSTN, hence I pay for that US call leg on all DID incoming calls. The forwarding is done by LP (set on their website), Obi device is not involved so LP is not registered.

I wanted to change and try an all-SIP solution so here what I considered or tried:

• Registering LP as SP3 and forward to GV on no answer: no good as I would miss the logging of the call if either answered or hung up before forwarding. Also, I want in that scenario VM to kick in immediately so my caller doesn't have to wait for another 20 secs before VM answers (may never get a VM otherwise). This cannot be done if I want to keep the original callerID as GV does not allow to rule forwarding based on number masks; indeed, I only want the DID-originated calls to forward to VM directly (they have waited for 20 secs already while ringing on my Obi), the US ones should not forward automatically.
    This would still be a PSTN solution but only for the voicemail
  • LP on SP3 + GV Gateway with Simon Telephonics on SP1, and unconditionally forward LP DID calls to the gateway (SIP URI):

• no good as the call is forwarded to Google Chat, not Google Voice. Read (and confirmed) that for "calls" handled by Google Chat/Talk, there is no log, no voicemail. I have noticed that the call ends after exactly 60 secs and a new attempt is initiated
    • also, the callerID that shows up on my phone is my DID  ???. X_SpoofCallerID did not help it.
      See my Obi call history:
      Call 1
      11:07:33  From SP1(LP DID#) To PH1
      11:07:33  Ringing
      11:07:41  Call Ended   
      Call 2
      11:07:33  From 'OrigCallerID' SP3(OrigCallerID) To SP2(GV#@gvgw5.simonics.co)
      11:07:33  Ringing
      11:07:40  Call Ended   (I hung up)
      Call 3
      11:06:26  From SP1(LP DID#) To PH1
      11:06:26  Ringing
      11:07:26  Call Ended   
      Call 4
      11:06:26  From 'OrigCallerID' SP3(OrigCallerID) To SP2(GV#@gvgw5.simonics.co)
      11:06:26  Ringing
      11:07:26  Call Ended

I was thinking about setting up a 2nd GV # just for the forwarding to the 1st free of charge but for the sake of savings a few bucks, I would loose in audio quality I guess (PSTN involved twice), incur delays and am not sure about the callerID ending up in GV1#. Too complex and not worth it.

I will probably have to stick to what I have but does anyone have other ideas ? This would all go away if Google was offering DID outside of US...

Thanks,
Yannick

Yannick

Really, nobody ?

I doubt I am the only one who has multiple incoming numbers and want to use one voicemail solution only. If not GV, are there free alternatives ?

Thanks, Yannick