News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure OBI202 to auto disable incoming calls by time of day?

Started by ComputerTech, March 30, 2013, 07:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComputerTech

I am a new OBI user and so far very impressed.

I am a longtime Vonage user and looking forward to dropping that bill, but I need help replicating / improving a feature I had with Vonage.

One nice thing I had setup with Vonage is my Cisco router would automatically would cut off internet access to my Vonage device at 6:30pm every night and re-enable it at 7:00am each morning.  The Vonage service had a nice feature where it would auto forward calls to a specific number (my wife's cell in this case) whenever it detected my device went offline.  Since we have small kids with early bedtimes, and we greatly dislike dinner time disruptions this was a wonderful configuration.  At 6:30pm each night our house line would turn off and any calls would auto forward to my wife's cell. Now it was not perfect, kind of annoying not being able to use the main house phones after 6:30pm but the benefit outweighed the inconvenience.

Now that I'm switching over to OBI I would like to accomplish the same thing and/or improve upon my  Vonage configuration.  Yes I could still configure my Cisco router to drop the internet to my OBI device each night but I have no way (that I know if) to auto forward my Google Voice line to another number upon disconnect. (I have 3 GV accounts, my cell, my wife's cell, and our home line). Both of our cell phones are on Sprint so they seamlessly integrate with GV without the need to port (i.e. my cell number and my GV number are one in the same). We have been longtime GV users long before I even was aware of this wonderful little OBI box.

So my question, is there any setting in the OBI expert mode that allows me to turn on/off incoming calls based upon time of day?  I would love to tell my OBI to stop incoming calls on SIP1, SIP2, and SIP3 at a specific time each night, then re-enable in the morning while allowing outgoing calls 24/7.

Any suggestions??? Below is my OBI202 setup

SIP 1: My Wife's GV / Sprint Cell Number
SIP 2: My GV / Sprint Cell Number
SIP 3: House GV number (my original Vonage number is currently porting over to this GV account)
SIP 4: e911 service

Thanks in advance!
ComputerTech

hwittenb

I believe GoogleVoice has the ability to setup a "custom ring schedule".  You do this on the GoogleVoice account page.

http://support.google.com/voice/answer/115145?hl=en

ComputerTech

I did considered that option.  Problem is when it turns off our home line it will not auto forward to a cell.  I also would like to configure the same on my 2 cell phone GV lines but if I use GV to disable inbound calls then our cell phones will not ring either.

Shale

Maybe a manual system alternative method would help:
On your home phone, dial
*78  Do Not Disturb – Turn On
*79  Do Not Disturb – Disable

Felix

Quote from: ComputerTech on March 31, 2013, 07:38:28 AM
I did considered that option.  Problem is when it turns off our home line it will not auto forward to a cell.  I also would like to configure the same on my 2 cell phone GV lines but if I use GV to disable inbound calls then our cell phones will not ring either.
"forward" may be the wrong word, but GV can do what you want. Add your wife's cell phone to this GV account. Now there are two ways to handle. If you are OK with your wife's cell ringing simultaneously with house phone - just leave it checked. If, however, you want your wife's phone ring only in the evenings, set it up on the schedule that "mirrors" your house phone.
I realize that your wife's phone is GV/Sprint -I don't know if this adds any complexity (eg., Google won't allow you to add it to a different GV account). With regular (non-GV) phones it works like a charm

The second task (disable inbound calls on my 2 cell phone GV lines) is certainly trickier... doing manually "do not disturb" every evening is certainly a pain - you may as well take the cord out of the device. The totally geeky way is to have a scheduled job (Linux cron or windows task scheduler) that would post changes in the device twice a day.

Ostracus

Quote from: Felix on March 31, 2013, 11:08:16 AM
The second task (disable inbound calls on my 2 cell phone GV lines) is certainly trickier... doing manually "do not disturb" every evening is certainly a pain - you may as well take the cord out of the device. The totally geeky way is to have a scheduled job (Linux cron or windows task scheduler) that would post changes in the device twice a day.

Does ObiPlus (free version) expose any kind of timing functionality?