News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiHai 110 and SIP Door Station (Valcom)

Started by JustinM, March 05, 2013, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinM

Total newbie question.  I have a pretty easy setup but am having trouble getting things to work.  Have read the forums but haven't found a similar setup.  Here is what I am trying to do:

SP1: Google Voice- I have this setup and working fine
SP2: Want to setup as SIP to receive sip calls from my Valcom VIP-172L SIP Door Station.  My only use for SP2 is to receive calls from when the door station button is pushed.

Can someone please help me with the correct SP2 and Valcom SIP settings to make this work?  I greatly appreciate your help!  Thanks

RFord

This is such a specialized application that I doubt you will receive any help from this forum.  I have an Intercom (DoorBell Fon) Hooked to my OBi110, but it is not SIP based.  The Valcom VIP-172L SIP Door Station cost anywhere from $400-$500 (not cheap!!) and it the firs time I have seen this product or any SIP based Intercom discussed on this forum.   Your best bet would be the Valcom Tech Support (and OBi Support).  Or you can try:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

If you do get it to work, please come back and share your experience/settings.  The nice thing about this SIP base phone is you can possibly answer the door remotely on your Smartphone and/or PC or another SIP device.  I think it offers some IP Camera support also.   Good Luck and sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Valcom's Tech Support is available 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Emergency after hours support is available 365/24/7.
Telephone Numbers:
Toll Free:  800-VALCOM1
Headquarters:  540.563.2000
Fax:  540.362.9800

ianobi

Here's a few thoughts from someone who knows nothing about this product  :)

The main question is can this doorphone call without registration. I think many SIP devices / doorphones are designed to register to an IP PBX such as 3CX or Asterix. Then they become a registered extension of the IP PBX.

It is not possible for a SIP device to register with an OBi110. If the doorphone can call without registration, then the OBi110 can be set up to treat it just like any SIP phone that can call without registration.

If you have the manual / setup options, then post as much info as possible.

RFord

Ianobi:

Without registration, do you think a direct IP dialing to the OBi110 SP2 is possible?  I'm not sure how this is done using the OBi ATA, but it would be a direct IP Dialing within the OP's LAN.  I assume the VIP-172L SIP Door Station would get an IP Address from the Router and the Intercom apparently is configured with a WEB interface. 

The OP did not of course provide any information apart from the Model Number or any background information as to why he thinks it would work with an ATA or VALCOM other components acting as a gateway, which is not the best approach when seeking help on a forum.

hwittenb

Google turns up this YouTube video of installing the unit.  The video assumes you have an ip PBX like an Asterisk PBX where you register the device as a pbx extension and when you push the button the device calls another extension which is your phone.  You make the settings on the device using a downloadable software tool from the manufacturer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3mbSep6Ec

As you know the OBi is not an ip PBX so in order to use the OBi with the device you would either need to use a third party managed PBX where you setup your extensions or you would need to communicate with the OBi using direct ip calling between the units without registration.  To do the latter you will need to understand your network and some advanced settings on the OBi unit.  The unit also requires a network setup where you provide power to the unit with power over ethernet which means you need to have an ethernet switch or router that will provide that function.

ianobi

Calling without registration is really not difficult within the same subnet as the OBi. I use it with softphones etc all the time. My post about using an OBi to set up a Home PBX relies mostly on calling without registration.

The problem here is that we do not know exactly how this unit functions. I watched the video and it does imply that the usual way is via an IP PBX which it is registered to. However, I also note that in the SIP setup screen there was a check box for "register", so I guess if left unchecked it does something without registration.

If the OP wishes to go ahead, we can give him some pointers, but he would have to be prepared for a lot of trial and error to reach any conclusion, good or bad.

RFord

Do you think the the VIP-172L SIP Door Station (including the Network Interface) could register with a free Asterisk Server such as PBXes.org as an extension and use this third party medium to operate the Intercom via the OBi110?  Come to think about it, the DoorBell Fon can be operated through a PBX Server as described here:

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=125

http://nerdvittles.com/wp-content/doorbell.pdf

I have been looking for a way to get the DoorBell Fon and OBi110 to work without running my own PBX.  I'm really interesting in having the ability to speak to anyone at the Front Door from my Mobile Smartphone (3G or WiFi).  I noticed an alarming trend where I live, where Burglars always ring your door bell first, to determine if someone is home, before burglarizing your home.  This way, I can answer the Intercom whether I'm home or not.  Currently my DoorBell Fon is hooked to the OBi110 as shown here (VOIP Wiring Diagram on Page 5):

http://www.homephone.com/PDF%20Installation/DoorBell%20Fon%20User%20%26%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

This setup works fine and it rings the attached phone(s) attached to the OBi110, even call waiting works with the DoorBell Fon, even if I'm already on a call, but cannot figure out a way to send the call from the Intercom offsite.

Quote from: hwittenb on March 06, 2013, 08:01:36 AM
Google turns up this YouTube video of installing the unit.  The video assumes you have an ip PBX like an Asterisk PBX where you register the device as a pbx extension and when you push the button the device calls another extension which is your phone.  You make the settings on the device using a downloadable software tool from the manufacturer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3mbSep6Ec

As you know the OBi is not an ip PBX so in order to use the OBi with the device you would either need to use a third party managed PBX where you setup your extensions or you would need to communicate with the OBi using direct ip calling between the units without registration.  To do the latter you will need to understand your network and some advanced settings on the OBi unit.  The unit also requires a network setup where you provide power to the unit with power over ethernet which means you need to have an ethernet switch or router that will provide that function.

ianobi

QuoteDo you think the the VIP-172L SIP Door Station (including the Network Interface) could register with a free Asterisk Server such as PBXes.org as an extension and use this third party medium to operate the Intercom via the OBi110? 

I guess this would work if the VIP-172 and the OBI were both PBXes extensions. If it was me (not likely at that price!!) I would look into direct ip calling first as that keeps it all inside my own subnet and all cabling and services within my own home.

If your DoorBell Fon is ringing the OBi phones, I assume it uses an spX to call in. Or can it simply use the Line Port? Either way I'm guessing you could use the InboundCallRoute to fork the DoorBell Fon calls to your cell phone if it shows up with a unique CallerID. What does Call History show now when the DoorBell Fon calls the OBi?

hwittenb

RFord

It looks like your DoorBell Fon rings your PSTN phone which means it would come into the OBi110 Line port.  As ianobi said you could fork the incoming call to both your phone and to your Mobile phone.  If it doesn't come into the Line port then it would come into the SPx port and the same forking would apply.  If you have some caller id coming in on the call from DoorBell Fon you could filter the forking on that, otherwise you could send all calls out to both the phone and the mobile.

One problem that you can encounter doing this is the Mobile phone voicemail (if you have voicemail on it) picking up the call if the Mobile phone is turned off, out of range, or busy.  I fork all incoming PSTN Line calls to my mobile phone and I use voip provider Anveo which has a filter you can invoke to keep from answering the call if voicemail answered the call.  It works for my mobile provider (T-Mobile).  One disadvantage is you have fund the account and to pay a slight pay/go fee using Anveo Call Flow and for the call termination if you answer it on your mobile.  I fork the call using a sip uri to my Anveo account where I use Anveo Call Flow to invoke the filter and ring my mobile phone.

RFord

hwittenb/Ianobi:

The Door Station for the DoorBell Fon (and assume the VIP-172L SIP Door Station) is really dumb component of the system (Speaker & call/push button).  It doesn't have any brains by itself and needs the Controller piece to interact with the Phone System.  If you look at the manual (page 2 and Page 5), the line leading from the Door Station is connected to a + and - terminal on the Controller and cannot be connected to the LINE port of the OBi110 (or SPA3102 for that matter - I had this setup before purchasing the OBi110).  Page 2 of the manual shows the typical setup with a normal PSTN line, while Page 5 shows the setup where you have a VOIP ATA serving as the "PSTN" line.  The Controller for the DoorBell Fon and VIP-172L is the brains of the system.  In case of the DoorBell Fon, there are two leads connecting the Door Station to the Controller, while the VIP-172L uses a RJ45 (LAN) cable between the Door Station and the Network Interface Box (Controller).

Currently, when someone at the door presses the Call Button, there is no caller ID that shows up on the Phone LCD screens, so there is nothing that can be use for forking a "call", nor is it "forkable" unless it can be intercepted before it goes out to the phone ("To Phones" - see diagram on page 5).  The only thing that distinguish the DoorBell Fon "calls" are the distinctive ring pattern.

DoorBell Fon Manufacturer use to make a separate component that could be integrated with the two components of the DoorBell Fon that could be used as a dialer and could dial an outside line,  They discontinued that component (Dialer) some years ago for some reason and they claim they are working on replacing it with something else.  I'm hoping the new module will have some form of embedded SIP based technology, since I do not wish to replace the entire DoorBell Fon, which only cost $125 at the time I purchased it (going for around $175 now).

FYI: I have Anveo for E911 setup on SP2 of the OBi110 and CallWithUs on VG3.

hwittenb

Rick,

With the setup you have, as you say, the OBi doesn't see the "call" from the DoorBell Fon.  The controller is between the OBi110 phone jack and the phones.  When someone is at the door and pushes the button the controller temporarily breaks the connection between the OBi phone jack and the phones to ring the phones with it's connection.

Do you have anything connected to the Line port on the OBi110?   If not, what if you connected the Phone port from the OBi110 directly to the phones without going to the controller and connected the phone line output from the controller to the Line port on the OBi110?  Would this work?  The line port InboundCallRoute on the OBi110 would then be setup to ring the phone attached to the OBi110 and also fork the call to Anveo to ring your mobile phone, or you could just call your mobile phone without using the Anveo call flow filter.  One problem might be the voltage level the controller uses for talk voltage on the phone. 

RFord

hwittenb:

I will be able to test your recommendation first thing in the Morning, since I'm not at that location until then.  Just to recap what I'm going to do:

1.  I'm going to connect the Phone Port of the OBi110 to the House phones (1-Cordless Base Unit and HP Fax Unit).

2.  I will then connect the Output ("To Phones" Port) From the DoorBell Fon Controller to the Obi110 LINE Port (currently unused/idle).

The Line port should be set to the default InboundCallRoute which should be set to ring the phone port ( ph ), so no adjustment should be necessary here.  The issue with the "talk voltage" shouldn't be a problem (I think), since the unit was operational with the OBi110 Phone port connected to the Controller ("From TL Company" Port).  Will test and report back later.  Thanks.

hwittenb

Reviewing the Installation manual you posted it says if you have no telco line connected to the controller you need a special chip inside the main controller ... contact Customer Support.

I think this is because there is no 48v on the Telco line (LINE IN/"From Tel Co") indicating that it is idle.

From page 11/12 of the Doorbell Fon User and Installation Manual

The DoorBell FOn system needs to be hooked up to a PBX system.
• Please use a vacant FXO port instead of FXS. The FXO port is also known as the
CO port or trunk line.
• If there is no telephone company line connected tot eh Main Controller, please use a
N8NC chip inside the Main Controller. Contact your DoorBell Fon dealer or ACNC
Customer Support to order one.

Valcom

VIP-172L can be configured to communicate without having to register.  Also, the web interface to this device is not used for programming.  You must download a Windows-based application to configure the VIP-172L

http://valcom.fileburst.com/VIP102BFullSetup4_0_1.exe

A softphone via PC or smartphone can call the VIP-172L by extension@ipaddress

Contact Valcom Support 540-825-2661 option 1 for additional support....

RFord

hwittenb:

I try the setup as proposed and it did not work.  When I switched the lines around to match your proposal and rung the Door Station Call Button, the phone attached to the OBi did not ring.  This was done of course without the "N8NC chip inside the Main Controller" installed.  What I find strange is if you look at the setup mention in the linked article for the PBX and DoorFon setup ( http://nerdvittles.com/wp-content/doorbell.pdf ), no mention was made of the inclusion of that chip, although the "From TEL Company" Phone Port on the Controller is left blanked/unused.

I'm thinking that I could connect a telephone cable from another VOIP ATA "Phone" Port to the unconnected "From TEL Company" phone port, to provide the 48V to that port of the Controller and see if this would negate the need for a specialize "N8NC Chip".  I currently have a PAP2T-NA mounted beside the OBi110, which is connected to my Alarm/Security System Panel and Phone Port 2 is unused on that ATA.   Your thoughts (will try in a day or two when I'm at that location)?

Note:  All my Internet (Cable Modem, Main Router, Switches), Communication Devices (OBi110), Alarm System IP ATA (PAP2T-NA) and Intercom Controller (DoorBell Fon) Components are centrally located.  So it only takes me a few minutes to configure/re-configure.

BTW, I try discussing this with a DoorBell Fon Support person and he was clueless as to what their product is capable of doing or the inner working of their own product.

Quote from: RFord on March 06, 2013, 03:31:09 PM
hwittenb:

I will be able to test your recommendation first thing in the Morning, since I'm not at that location until then.  Just to recap what I'm going to do:

1.  I'm going to connect the Phone Port of the OBi110 to the House phones (1-Cordless Base Unit and HP Fax Unit).

2.  I will then connect the Output ("To Phones" Port) From the DoorBell Fon Controller to the Obi110 LINE Port (currently unused/idle).

The Line port should be set to the default InboundCallRoute which should be set to ring the phone port ( ph ), so no adjustment should be necessary here.  The issue with the "talk voltage" shouldn't be a problem (I think), since the unit was operational with the OBi110 Phone port connected to the Controller ("From TL Company" Port).  Will test and report back later.  Thanks.

ianobi

RFord,

I'm sure hwittenb is correct - the Fon sees 48v on the "From TEL Company" port as a line idle condition, so it can interrupt the line and call the house phones when the call button is pressed. I guess it has something like the OBi110 LineInUseVoltageThreshold, so when the line voltage drops below say 25v, then it knows the line is in use and should not be interrupted.

Back to Valcom - how refreshing to see a company tech support actively seeking out issues with its products and offering advice. There's lessons to be learnt here ...   :D

hwittenb

Quote from: RFord on March 08, 2013, 04:35:04 AM
I'm thinking that I could connect a telephone cable from another VOIP ATA "Phone" Port to the unconnected "From TEL Company" phone port, to provide the 48V to that port of the Controller and see if this would negate the need for a specialize "N8NC Chip".  I currently have a PAP2T-NA mounted beside the OBi110, which is connected to my Alarm/Security System Panel and Phone Port 2 is unused on that ATA.   Your thoughts (will try in a day or two when I'm at that location)?

That is my thought exactly, cable the 48v from another ata's FXS (phone) port to simulate an attached phone line and run the test.