News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OpenDNS and "Backing Off"

Started by JeffW, March 05, 2013, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffW

Recently hooked up my OBi202 with two GV accounts and Anveo for E911.  I use OpenDNS for parental controls through my Netgear router.  I was expecting the "Backing Off" issue but have had NO problems maintaining Connected status (or Registered for Anveo).

Although it was my understanding that OpenDNS would cause issues, are others experiencing success with OpenDNS like me?  I have the basic, free OpenDNS account and run it in Custom mode, which allows me to select the categories to block -- as opposed to a pre-set filter of Low, Medium, or High.  Is it possible that it is one of the selected categories that causes the "backing off" problem and not OpenDNS in general?

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I deselected the "Dating" category in the Custom settings when it blocked Google Hangouts from working (before I got the OBi).  I'm a noob, but thought maybe something like this is causing the backing off problem with OBi's.

I'm afraid to experiment for fear of jinxing myself -- i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  On the other hand, maybe it will just start backing off someday, like many of these computer issues that just pop up for no apparent reason.  Interested in anyone else's experience on this issue.

Veronica

why don't you try first with google DNS which is proven to work so you know if it's OpenDNS the problem or not.

~ V

JeffW

Actually, I was commenting that I haven't had any problems with my OBi behind my router using OpenDNS.  I read a lot about the installation process before hooking up my 202 so I could eliminate surprises, and the OpenDNS/Backing off issue was one of the topics that caught my eye.  However, after installation, I have never had a problem staying connected while continuing to use OpenDNS.  Thought I would mention it in the forum to see if others had a similar experience -- and threw out the possibility of a setting in OpenDNS that might have been the problem.  Since it's working without any tweaks, I'm not about to rock the boat trying something else.  Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

isaaccarmignani

JeffW I think you're right. I just spent all day wondering why my new Obi100 dropped out. I just realized that I enabled my OpenDNS at the High setting. My kids had been circumventing me. So when the controls were dropped my calls went through. So since I can't use Netgear Genie with Obihai I'm hoping a custom setting will work for me as it does for you. What categories are you letting through your firewall for Obihai to work?

Isaac