News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

outbound calls using skype gw

Started by tnycman, March 10, 2013, 12:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnycman

Hello,

Been using Obi for almost two years now, and its great and free with google voice. However I needed to make international calls therefore i signed up with skype international package..

I connected the freetalk gw and it works fine, however I'm trying to keep one device and not keep switch phones for intentional and domestic..

I did connected the skype Freetalk gw to the analog port on Obi, and dialed **8xxxx for international calls, the call rings one and then silence, I don;t think it even connect..

Anyone has done something similar, is this even doable ?

Thanks

giqcass

Just to verify.  You have the OBi110 and which freetalk device do you have?
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I was thinking this might help you.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5427.0

Also you could look into this if the Skype gateway doesn't work out. They will provide you a free access number.

QuoteYour free Skype To Go number
Great news: because you've registered your mobile number (xxxxxxxxxxx) with Skype, we've set you up with a free Skype To Go number. Now you can call your loved ones abroad at Skype's great rates even when you're away from your computer.

Here's how it works
1. To make a long distance call, simply dial this local Skype To Go number from your registered phone:

(xxx) xxx-xxxx Want a number in a different city or country?

2. Then enter the phone number of the person you'd like to call, starting with the country code (e.g. "001" for the US or "0044" for the UK).

Note that we'll identify you by the phone you're calling from so you will need to call from the phone you registered with Skype: xxxxxxxxxxx
Want to register another phone?

What does it cost?
Enjoy the same rates and use the same Skype Credit as when calling phones using Skype on your computer*. Any subscriptions you have will apply as well.

Save your Skype To Go number to your address book so you can make calls over Skype, directly from your mobile. It's convenient and fast – so give it a try!

Someone else on here might be able to suggest a dial plan strategy for the Skype GW so all international call use it rather then doing the **8.  Something about your dialing pattern may be the problem.  I don't see any reason the GW wouldn't work in theory.  I had considered getting one myself.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ianobi

tnycman,

This should be doable. Many of us connect the Line Port of an OBi110 to other ATAs, GSM devices etc. To the freetalk the OBi110 Line Port should simply look like a normal corded telephone.

The link the giqcass pointed you to could be useful if digits from the OBi are not being received correctly by the freetalk. If you go to your OBi web page and look in Status > Call History, there you can see what was dialled under "PHONE1" and what went out to line under "LINE1". Call History will show line connected if it actually connected or not. Connection is assumed by the OBi under default settings. I don't know if you can log into the freetalk and see what digits it thinks it has received.

If you get this dialling problem sorted, then come back for a digit map that will route all international calls from your OBi to the freetalk automatically with no **8 code required.