News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what does the red exclamation mark mean on ObiTalk portal

Started by cdcooker, April 01, 2011, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdcooker

Some of the values have a red exclamation mark next to it.  There are some empty values with red exclamation mark next to it.  What does all that mean?

thanks

cdcooker

Thanks for the link.  However, I need some further explanation and help here.

On the linked Obi page, "To the right of the configurable parameter value field, there may be a red exclamation mark (!).  When this mark is present, it means the parameter value next to where it appears has an OBi Expert configuration database entry that is different than the OBiTALK database entry.  If the Device Default and OBiTALK boxes are left unchecked, then the OBi will use this setting in its active configuration."

My scenario is that I setup both CallForwardUnconditionalEnable to yes and CallForwardUnconditionalNumber to SP1(1234567890) for example, respectively.  Saved the settings.  Then, when I check the corresponding checkboxes under ObiTalk Settings column, the checkbox of CallForwardUnconditionalEnable and the textbox of CallForwardUnconditionalNumber become empty, but the red exclamation marks are still next to these two boxes, even after I click the submit button to save the settings.  And when I place a call to my Obi connnected phone line, it still forward the call to the number I set in the CallForwardUnconditionalNumber box, which is empty right now, only has a red exclamation  mark next to it.  And I am sure the Obitalk Settings box is checked, which according to the quotes from the linked Obi page, the callforwad shouldn't be triggered if OBiTalk boxes are checked.

Thanks in advance.

T1000

First of all, In your case, the value of CallForwardUnconditionalEnable and CallForwardUnconditionalNumber in your OBi Expert Configuration are different from the settings in OBiTALK configuration ("Yes" v.s. "NO" which is the DEFAULT value; "SP1(1234567890)" v.s. Empty which is also the DEFAULT value). That is why you can see the red exclamation mark, even though you checked OBiTALK setting checkbox. If you really want to remove the "!" mark, you need to uncheck the OBiTALK setting checkbox first and check the Device Default checkbox next to these two parameters. And then "submit" you modification again.  Also check the OBiTALK setting if you like OBiTALK to manage them for you in the future.

Second of all, As you can see,  both two parameters have no asterisk (*) mark, which means that the OBiTALK does not configure both parameters for feature configuration now. That's the reason why your expert configuration value were not replaced by OBiTALK settings, even though you checked the OBiTALK setting checkbox on the OBi expert configuration page after you have created your own settings. But If there is an asterisk next to the parameter, checking OBiTALK box will cause OBiTALK to overwrite your own value immediately.

Again according to Shermenobi's post in link, if you really want OBi device to keep your own settings, do uncheck OBiTALK box.

RonR

And all this time I thought configuring your OBi locally/manually was a whole lot simpler than using OBi Expert.  What was I thinking?!?   :)

QBZappy

RonR,

I can't be sure if that was sarcastic, or serious.  ???
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

cdcooker

T1000, thank you for your explanation.  So my understanding is that if there is no * next to the OBiTalk Setting box, then even I check it, it won't overwrite the previously entered Value setting, even though it is blank now, as indicated by the red exclamation mark.  To truly overwrite it, I have to check the Device Default box, submit the change, and optionally check the OBiTalk Setting box and submit the change again.  Now my question is what's the advantage to check OBiTalk Setting box instead of leaving the Device Default box checked.

This is sure an expert mode, how on earth I can figure this out with your explanation here.  If checking a OBiTalk Setting box without an * next to it will not overwrite the custom Value box, OBi need to find a more intuitive way to change the settings. 

Thanks

T1000

As shermanobi mentioned in his post:

"It is important to note that the presence of the *  may appear suddenly, when functionality is added to the OBiTALK portal that requires management of the parameter next to which the * appears".

Therefore, in the your case, keeping OBiTALK Setting box checked will allow OBiTALK portal to manage  (overwrite your own setting) the parameter when it is needed for new function in the future. And value that OBiTALK uses is not necessary to be the default value of the parameter.