News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call quality settings

Started by Rustifer, February 23, 2013, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustifer

I am using OBi110 with Google Voice. Whether I am calling out or receiving a call, the quality I am getting on my side is outstanding. However, those on the other end say that I sound choppy when speaking. Are the any tweaks that will make me sound better to the recipient. Extreme novice here, so keep it simple, if possible.

Ostracus

Could be an issue with your uplink. Most internet connections are asymmetrical and your uplink is smaller than your down and hence easier to saturate. Are you doing anything else with your connection like downloading or torrenting?

Rustifer

I have done that before, but not during a call.

zapattack

Go to
http://speedtest.net/
and post your results here.
Also list the name and model of router. The more info, the easier it is to find a solution.

Bliss

Quote from: zapattack on March 09, 2013, 06:30:09 PM
Go to
http://speedtest.net/
and post your results here.
Also list the name and model of router. The more info, the easier it is to find a solution.

I have the exact same issue.  My router is a Linksys E4200.  I upped the Obi110 QoS priority to high and the upstream bandwidth to 1Mbit/sec.  My ISP is a Wisp, but a very good Wisp.  I can Skype, Teamspeak, game, netflix fine.  I usually get about 3Mbits/sec down and 1 Mbit/sec up with a ping of 50 ms on Speedtest.net, but I haven't checked recently.  I'm at work now, but once I get home I'll double check Speedtest.net results.

I have already ported my home number (via a cell) to Google Voice and ditched AT&T, so I am committed to getting the Obi110 to work for us.  Any help figuring this out is appreciated.

Eric

Shale

Try turning off your computers. If that solves it, turn them back on one by one.

When you find the computer that is taking your upstream bandwidth, turn off the server if you know about the server. This would include any torrent software, which you may have to uninstall to turn off the server. Check for viruses if you think you do not have a server running on that computer.

Bliss

Quote from: Shale on March 12, 2013, 09:54:46 AM
Try turning off your computers. If that solves it, turn them back on one by one.

Thanks for the advice.  I turned everything off, except my Obi110 and still have the same issue.  I even went so far as to disconnect everything from my router.  Any other suggestions?

Shale

Next I would try plugging your OBi directly into your modem.

If that solves things, consider undoing the QOS in your router or resetting your router back to factory defaults before adding back security. I wonder if may the QOS does not work as you were thinking it should.

LeoKing

Quote from: Bliss on March 15, 2013, 12:14:37 PM
Quote from: Shale on March 12, 2013, 09:54:46 AM

Thanks for the advice.  I turned everything off, except my Obi110 and still have the same issue.  I even went so far as to disconnect everything from my router.  Any other suggestions?

I suggest you run the VoIP Quality Test on your line.