News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

simple question

Started by Philq, March 16, 2013, 10:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philq

Hi,

I am about to get rid of my landline and am thinking getting a Obihai device to replace it.  I don't need to keep my landline number. I understand I need to set up a Google Voice account/number. But I don't want my cell phone to ring also when I get a call to the Obihai. I just need the Google voice to go to the Obihai/home phone.  How can I do that? 

Also can I set up a second number to ring through the same Obhihai device/home phone?

Sorry these must be the newbiest questons.

Thank you.

Phil

Shale

1. By default, your cell number will not ring. You will probably need to provide a phone number to Google to set up the GV account. That could be your wireline number before you drop it, or it could be your cell number.

2. Yes. Even the OBi100 could do that.

giqcass

For security reasons I highly recommend not using the number you plan to drop when setting up Google Voice.  Use your cell phone number to set it up.  Make sure you get a new Google Voice number.  It will let you choose the number.  There is also a "lite" version of Google voice that does not have incoming calling available.  You don't want the "lite" version.  After you set it up make sure your cell phone is not checked as a forwarding phone. Make sure Google Chat is set as a forwarding phone.
Those options are under settings in Google Voice.

Now click edit under your cell phone
Click "show advanced settings"
Set "Voicemail Access:" to " No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)"

Without logging out go to http://www.google.com/chat/voice/ You must make one outgoing call from Gmail.  You may need to install the plugin to make the call.  

Finally add the Google Voice account to your OBi.
Long live our new ObiLords!