News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VoIP-Enable Remote Workers w/o a VPN

Started by ObihaiCustSvc, March 18, 2013, 05:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ObihaiCustSvc

By utilizing a pair of OBi202 devices, the below two recent Obihai blog articles describe the set-up and configuration of a VPN-less remote extension off an IP PBX located at a Main Office site.  The extension station can be either an analog phone connected to an OBi202 phone port or a SIP IP Phone registered to the OBi202.

Analog Phone as Remote Extension:
http://blog.obihai.com/2013/03/using-obi202-w-analog-phones-as-ip-pbx.html

IP Phone as Remote Extension:
http://blog.obihai.com/2013/03/using-obi202-with-ip-phone-as-ip-pbx.html

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

Quote from: ObihaiCustSvc on March 18, 2013, 05:36:34 PM
VPN-less remote extension off an IP PBX located at a Main Office site.

Huh! 'VPN-less'...
It would have been better news if they touted that the OBi could now be connected with a built in OpenVPN client. That would have been a much more interesting entry in their Blog.

That is by far my number 1 feature request. Since they brought it up, who wants this feature, speak up.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I must admit an OBi202 with Wifi adapter and VPN capability would rock.

+1
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

The people have spoken! Obihai, I hope your are listening. There are at least two of us that would like to see an OpenVPN client baked into the OBi.  We are just the tip of the iceberg. :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jwcmb

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on March 21, 2013, 11:27:53 PM
The people have spoken! Obihai, I hope your are listening. There are at least two of us that would like to see an OpenVPN client baked into the OBi.  We are just the tip of the iceberg. :)

I never knew you were iceberg material. ;D

Actually if they "bake it in" then I can add that to my collection of VPNs (router, server,  DD-WRT, and Obi202). My abundance of riches. Maybe Tor? Obihai for that "liberated" feeling.

SIMPLE_desires

What provision is substituted after removing the VPN from the equation to protect SIP from a SIP hostile environment- or SIP hostile ISP?

Not all voip providers offer SIP TCP for SIP TCP TLS

Davoice

FYI, I'd say the reason you don't see an OpenVPN (or other VPN) client baked into most TAs is performance. If you don't have a dedicated ASIC to handle the encryption/decryption, you introduce additional jitter and latency into the equation since these devices are using fairly low powered CPUs. It's easy to just throw a client in there but to put one in there that actually works well enough for the average ITSP or normal end user to want to actually use it is another thing altogether.

That's why all of the implementations of inexpensive boxes use 2 boxes. 1 for the VoIP, 1 for the routing/encryption. Putting wirespeed encryption in a terminal adapter effectively doubles the manufacturing cost unless you're doing millions of units.

}Davoice

arifonline

VPN is really wanted feature I wished to have in OBi devices.

fergus121

My office has a non-IP PBX, which is capable of analog extensions (FXS ports). I have an Obi202 at home.

Would it be possible to connect the FXO port of an Obi110 to an FXS port on my office PBX and set up a voice gateway to my home Obi202? Would I be able to make and receive calls on the office Obi110 via its FXO port from my home Obi202?

(I have no experience with the Obi110.)

Thanks

ianobi

The good news is that the answers to all your questions is "yes". However, the solution will depend on how you use your OBi202 at the moment. For instance, if sp4 is spare are you happy to dial **4, receive another dial tone, then dial as if you were sat in your office? What format will the call numbering be - just calling within the PBX with maybe three-digit numbers? Calling out to PSTN via the PBX with maybe an access digit such as "9"?

I ask these questions because it will affect how the digit maps are set up in your OBi202 at home. Setting up the OBi110 in the office should be fairly simple assuming the PBX is a normal analogue PBX using 48v lines and standard CallerID etc. The link between your office and home will be made using the OBiTALK network, which is free for OBi owners to use.

fergus121

Thanks very much ianobi.

I do have a free SP on my home Obi202.

You raise a good point about the dialplan. We use four digit extensions for internal calls and 9+ten digits for external (though making external calls through the office PBX is not a priority, I'm mostly concerned with receiving calls and calling internal extensions). I think I can write this dialplan fairly easily.

I apologize for being lazy and not looking this up myself, but can I set up a unique dialplan for each SP? If so, I'll just connect an "office phone" to my unused Phone 2 port and should be golden.

ianobi

There's always quite a few variables with these types of setups. I'll suggest some ideas, then we can fine tune it to suit you.

This first set up is using your Phone Port 1 and your normal house phones – it might be an advantage if you have phones around the house. This example is set up using sp4. Outgoing to the office you would dial **4, get a second dial tone, then dial as if you were at your office. Incoming all calls come into the phones attached to Phone Port 1. You can use different ring cadences to make it clear if a call is from the office or CallerID.

Home OBi202 500654321:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port 1 > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|##|**70(Mli)|**8(Mbt)|**81(Mbt)|**82(Mbt2)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4{t=di2}(Msp4)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port 1 > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<#:>):ph2},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:ob200123456*>(Msp4)):pp},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Service Providers > ITSP Profile D > General > DigitMap:
([23]xxx|9xxxxxxxxxx)

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{200123456:ph},{ph,ph2}

Office OBi110 200123456:

Assumes that Primary Line is PSTN Service (default).

{(500654321)>(xx.):li},{500654321:ph}

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob500654321)}

Incoming calls to the OBi110 Line Port ring the phone attached to the OBi110 and the OBi202 at home.

Or
{pp(ob500654321)}
Incoming calls to the OBi110 Line Port only ring the OBi202 at home.

The second set up is using Phone Port 2 on the home OBi202 as your remote office phone. Outgoing simply dial as if you were in the office, no prefix needed. This requires you set up Phone Port 2 Primary Line as SP4 Service. Leave Phone Port DigitMap at default.

Home OBi202 500654321:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port 2 > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<#:>):ph},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(<ob200123456*>(Mpli)):pp}

([23]xxx|9xxxxxxxxxx)

{200123456:ph2},{ph,ph2}

Office OBi110 200123456:

Same as first set up

Notes:

I've assumed the office number range is 2xxx and 3xxx.

Is a phone needed attached to the OBi110 Phone Port to act as the PBX extension in the office?

In the first set up I've not taken account of your 911 set up. You should be safe if you only change the highlighted rules in:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port 1 > OutboundCallRoute:

This may be a problem:
([23]xxx|9xxxxxxxxxx)
There may need to be a pause after the "9" for the office PBX to seize a PSTN line. If this is so, then it can be achieved by sending xxxxxxxxxx and adding a "9 pause" in the OBi110 before sending the call to the PBX. If required, we'll solve that problem later – this post is already rather large   :)

Don't have the two OBi's in each others' Circle of Trust. If you put them in the same account, then they will automatically be in each others' Circle of Trust. This causes confusion! If unavoidable, then change OBi202 and OBi110 Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute to as shown above.

I guess that's enough for one post ...

dlwiese

+1 for some kind of unit with built in VPN client.  I have several off site, out of the US, locations where it would be nice to have a VPN back to the US. I will setup my own private VPN server for this so security will not be any issue.

Black1Star

VPN is really wanted feature I wished to have in OBi devices.

PDX_Mark

Since the Link in OP is dead, can someone please tell me how to "Register" a phone to an Obi202.

I did not think the Obi202 had the ability to act as a registration server.

drgeoff

Quote from: PDX_Mark on October 09, 2020, 05:07:19 PM
Since the Link in OP is dead, can someone please tell me how to "Register" a phone to an Obi202.

I did not think the Obi202 had the ability to act as a registration server.
The two blog posts are archived at

http://web.archive.org/web/20160801104440/http://blog.obihai.com/2013/03/using-obi202-w-analog-phones-as-ip-pbx.html

and

https://web.archive.org/web/20160802072247/http://blog.obihai.com/2013/03/using-obi202-with-ip-phone-as-ip-pbx.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20160317011451/http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf is also relevant. However at some point the firmwares ceased to let some phones register.  In which case you might still have success if the phone can (be set to) make calls without being SIP registered.

mikestanley464

I never knew you were iceberg material. Grin

Actually if they "bake it in" then I can add that to my collection of VPNs (router, server,  DD-WRT, and Obi202). My abundance of riches. Maybe Tor? Obihai for that "liberated" feeling.

PDX_Mark

Quote from: giqcass on March 21, 2013, 04:08:32 PM
I must admit an OBi202 with Wifi adapter and VPN capability would rock.

+1

Get a raspberry Pi and stop trying to do too much with a single obi.