News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what hardware for 2 cell phones in Mexico

Started by Bobswee, March 21, 2013, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobswee

My wife and I live in the U.S. with a landline and two cell phones. We need to keep both #'s rather than getting new google #'s.   We also have a vacation house with internet service but no landline in Mexico.  Do I need to get an Obi110 for the U.S. house and another one for mexico, as well as an Obi202?  The goal is for us to make and receive calls to and from the U.S. while in Mexico from  callers from the U.S.  How would I configure this setup on both ends?  Thanks.

dircom

If you need to have two phone calls at once in Mexico you need an OBI 202, otherwise a 100 will work

If you want to call from Mexico to US and then dial out thru your landline you need an OBI 110 in the US

without setting up a GV #, someone could call your landline# in the US, dial out thru your OBI 110 and reach your OBI in mexico

When in Mexico, you can dial OBI (100 or 202) to OBI 110 in the US, and make a US call thru your landline

If you don't use your cellphones when you are in Mexico, you could fwd both of them to your landline

others can tell you if you can do an auto forward from one OBI to another
might be in this thread
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0

Bobswee

Thanks for the response.  Could I ask a couple of related questions?  Can I port the two cell #'s to google voice or do I need to just forward the #'s each time?  If I can port the numbers, can I do both or do I need two separate accounts with separate hardware?  Thank you for your time.

dircom

are you trying to get rid of your cell phones and just keep the phone numbers?

What are you trying to accomplish in detail?

click link to check porting availability
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/porting

Bobswee

We just want to be able to make and receive calls while in Mexico.  Ideally, we would buy a cordless phone and that phone would ring when someone from the U.S. calls one of our cell phones, and be able to use that cordless phone to make calls to the U.S..  I asked about porting the cell phone #'s because I would rather not have to forward the calls to a new google # each time we go down there.  Thanks

Rick

Assuming you cannot use your cells in Mexico.  Assume you have no reason to both be on the phone at the same time while in Mexico.  Assuming you realize that every call to your cell that is forwarded will be using cell minutes.

If someone calls your cell you want the call to ring on the OBi in Mexico.  You want to be able to make calls from Mexico to the states.

Buy two OBi 100s.  Set one up in the US, one in Mexico (but first setup the device in the US).  Setup the one in Mexico with two GV numbers. Forward your two cells before you arrive in Mexico to the two GV numbers.  When someone calls either cell while you're in Mexico, the OBi rings the house phone.  If you're on the phone and someone calls either cell, it goes to GV voicemail.  You can call OBI to OBI and then make free calls in the US either with a GV number on the US OBi or your landline (in which case you need a 110 in the U.S.).  

I don't have familiarity with GV in Mexico to know if you can make a call on it to the U.S. for free, that's why I said OBi to OBi.