News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Pre-sales Wireless Question

Started by Great_Oldies_DJ, March 23, 2013, 03:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great_Oldies_DJ

Hi All,

I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I am trying to decide between the Obi202 and the Ooma Telo. I think I have about decided on the Obi202 but I have a quick question. I am not sure I understand the purpose of the Obi Wifi device other than to locate your Obi away from your router. I can't tell what the lights on the Obi indicate but unless they flash when you have voicemail I think I will just locate the Obi next to the router and connect it with a cable. Can anyone give me some information on this?

Thanks,

Bill in Woodstock, Georgia, USA

dircom

from the obihai.com web page

"OBiWiFi — The Obihai OBiWiFi wireless adapter allows a USB-equipped OBi device to connect to the Internet over a Wi-Fi network. With OBiWiFi, you have the freedom to place the OBi VoIP phone adapter anywhere within range of your Wi-Fi network."

hwittenb

I would wire the OBi202 to the router if feasible instead of using the optional wireless adapter.  You seldom have a problem with wire.

In my opinion the lights on the OBi are useful for troubleshooting and general status.  There is no light on the OBi adapter for voicemail.  For voicemail indication, the OBI supports Message Waiting Indication Service on the Phone ports to give a stutter dial tone and it also can turn on the visual VMWI signal on the phone port for voicemail messages for an attached analog phone that has this feature.

For me a deciding factor with the OBi over a single provider adapter is the ability to be able to use multiple sip providers plus Google Voice, in addition to the call bridging and forwarding capabilities not really found in other adapters.

Great_Oldies_DJ

Hi again and thank you both for the replies.

I will probably locate the Obi202 next to my router and connect it with a cable.

About the only feature of the Ooma that has kept me undecided is that you have access to a database of known telemarketing company numbers that you can block. (you have to get their premium service at $10 a month to get this feature)

I should probably start another topic for a queston about Bluetooth but I will post it here and hope it gets answered. I would assume that the BT signal is about like any other BT device and you only have a range of 20 feet or so. Is this correct?  Also, is there a way to set up a distinctive ring when a cell call comes in through Bluetooth so that you know the cell phone was the phone being called?

giqcass

You can get that for free if you use Google Voice.  They have a similar feature to the one ooma is selling.  
Google calls their service "Global Spam Filtering".

Here is a description from the Google Voice website.
QuoteThese calls, text messages, and voicemails will not be forwarded to your phones, and will automatically be placed in your spam folder.

For your Bluetooth question.  I get at least 20 feet.  So far as distinctive ringing goes.  You get that plus a lot of other options.  For the adventurous Bluetooth dongles can be hacked to get better range.  I have heard of people attaching antennas to them.  

I personally waited for the wifi adapter to go on sale before I bothered with it.  I prefer a nice solid wired connection but it may be useful for hotel stays.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Felix

@Great_Oldies_DJ

Just want to make it clear that OBi is just a device; whereas Ooma is a device + service. OBi + Google Voice would be comparable to OOma; but of course with OBi you can pick from dozens (probably several hundreds) service providers.

I expected more from USB port on OBi (voicemail, IVR, fax server, etc). So, I wouldn't factor WiFi or Bluetooth adapters into your decision. I think OBi is much better than locked adapter from Ooma anyway.  ;)

Great_Oldies_DJ

Hi again and thanks for this useful information.

@Felix - I agree that having a choice of service providers is better than being locked into one provider.

@giqcass - I went and looked up Google's "Global Spam Filtering" and that sealed the deal for me.  That was exactly what I was looking for.

I am sure I will have more questions but I think I will search the forum to see if they have already been answered. (like if you can plug the Obi202 into your house wiring once you disconnect it from the street)

Thanks again.