News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voicemail light on IP phone with Google Voice

Started by fergus121, March 25, 2013, 11:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergus121

I sent the following message to ObiHai support and received the following response. I don't want to spend $120 for ObiPLUS just to get a voicemail light and I don't want to have to dial 9 to make calls with ObiPLUS, so I thought I'd throw it to the crowd for suggestions. It seems like if the voicemail light can work on an IP phone connected to an Obi202 configured for ObiPLUS, it could work without ObiPLUS.

***MY MESSAGE TO OBIHAI SUPPORT**

Hello. I'm using my OBI202 as a gateway for a Cisco SPA303, using the instructions in this blog post.
http://blog.obihai.com/2012/08/use-your-obi202-as-google-voice-gateway.html

It works great, except that the voicemail light on the cisco phone will not work correctly when I get a voicemail on my google voice accounts.

On the OBI 202, I have sp1 configured as a Google Voice account and sp3 configured as a SIP proxy account. The extension on the cisco phone is registered to sp3 on the OBI202.

It occurs to me that there's nothing "linking" a voicemail on the Google Voice account on sp1 with the SIP account on sp3. Since the phone is only looking at sp3, it wouldn't know if there was a voicemail on sp1.

Any suggestions on how to make the cisco IP phone aware of a voicemail on the Google Voice account and turn on/off the voicemail light?

Thanks

**RESPONSE FROM OBIHAI SUPPORT**

Hi,

It is not possible to link the SPA303 with the Google Voice vmail via the Obi.

If you subscribe to our obiplus premium service ($120 service fee per year),
you can have it set up so the vmail indicator will appear on your SPA phone.

- Obi Support

Shale

I suggest you consider an analog phone with a message indicator. I think some DECT cordless phones have a message waiting light for voicemail. I suspect others do too. I don't know how the phone can detect that.