News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 Google Voice Numbers with 1 Google Account

Started by Maplewoods, March 25, 2013, 03:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maplewoods

If you first have a free Google Voice Number and then, later port your cell phone number to the same account, then Google Will make your Cell Phone to be the Primary Line and your old google voice number will temporarily still  function for up to 90 days.

After 90 Days you will loose that old, free google voice number, unless you have used the option to pay an additional $20 to keep BOTH numbers.

My Question:

In the above situation, if I have such 2 Google Voice Numbers, both, to the same Gmail account, the question is can these 2 numbers function as 2 independent lines to maintain 2 incoming and 2 outgoing conversations simultaneously, using an OBi202, for example.

I called OBi about this, and they were not sure and said that they were not aware of anyone ever having tried that before.

Anyone have any actual experience with this?

Thanks

Lucycan

I can tell you I just setup my 202 with 2 GV lines and use them simultaneous with no problems.

I DID, however, have to sign up with two separate Google (Gmail) accounts.

Maplewoods

Quote from: Lucycan on March 25, 2013, 03:34:49 PM
I can tell you I just setup my 202 with 2 GV lines and use them simultaneous with no problems.

I DID, however, have to sign up with two separate Google (Gmail) accounts.

Thanks for your input but the entire question is based on a special situation where someone has 2 google voice numbers but both are on the SAME Gmail account.

The entire question really is if an obi202 will function with 2 numbers and ONE Gmail account - Just as well and exactly in the same way as it would if the 2 numbers were form 2 separate Google voice Gmail accounts.

Shale

Have you tried setting up using OBiTalk, or are you using the built in web interface instead?

QBZappy

Maplewoods,

An easy way to test is to use a GTALK client and ,make whatever tests you need to see how it behaves. The OBi is just a box which mimics a GTALK client.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

No, you can't.  The OBi has no idea what your GV number is, it justs knows your GV account name and password.  If GTalk forwards the call, it will ring.  If you make a call, I suspect it will go out on the main number.

Do the test that QBZappy suggested.