News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 Google Voice Accounts + 911?

Started by glenviewjeff, March 28, 2013, 11:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenviewjeff

I want to port my home phone to Google Voice and am aware of the home to mobile to GV process--call it "number A".  I already have an existing Google Voice telephone number (call it number B) that I've used for years and don't want to discard.  I've already determined that Google won't let you add another Google Voice number as a phone to ring.

So it's my understanding that I'd need to provision my Obi device with three accounts:  One for number A, one for number B, and one for 911.

I just bought the OBi100, and it appears only to allow provisioning two accounts.  I assume I need to return it and replace it with the OBi202 because it supports up to four accounts.  It's not too clear to my why I should need a new piece of hardware just to add a third account.  I have no use for a second analog line, as my cordless phone system only supports one line.

Is this correct that I have to buy an OBi202, or is there a way to hack a third account onto an OBi100?

Rick

You need a 202 if you want to setup three accounts.  If you want to be able to make calls out on both GV lines, AND have 911 from a VoIP provider, that's what it takes.

There is a GV 911 provider, but I don't use them. 

azrobert

You can define an SIP provider on a Voice Gateway for E911. You can define up to eight outbound only SIP providers on Voice Gateways on an OBi100 . The problem is you need to define a trunk as SIP to be able to use the Voice Gateways.

You can get around this problem by defining one of your GV accounts on Simon telephonics. They convert GV to the SIP protocol.

https://simonics.com/services/