News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Strange Occurrence when dialing out

Started by FrankWhite, March 27, 2013, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankWhite

I had a very strange thing happen the other day when I went to dial a 10 digit out of state number.  I dialed the number on my cordless phone attached to my Obi and when I hit talk it dialed a different number entirely.  A number which an online telemarketer had called me from earlier in the week.

It ended up being a direct line to this telemarketer's desk and he answered and said "Is this Frank?"  I was like wth, because I know I dialed the right number.  After a brief conversation I got off the phone and attempted the same action again.  And again it dialed his number instead of what I keyed in.

I hung up before it rang and on the third attempt it finally dialed the correct number.

My question is how is this possible.  I have searched around and don't turn up anything on this.  Not that it is an error or that it is a method some new age phone Phreak uses to hijack your phone.  I am leaning against it being just an error because I have had some problems with hackers/cyberstalking and just the way the occurrence went down my guess is it was a hijacking method.

Do any of you experts know if it is possible to hijack an Obi or Google Voice number?  Any insight to this is much appreciated because I use my Obi for business and if I need to do something to secure up my connection or other proactive method I am all over it.

Please help!

ianobi

Frank - welcome to the forum.

The first step here is to gather more information. Go to your OBi web page - the ip address can be found by dialling ***1. Look at Status > Call History. For an outgoing call under PHONE1 will be what you dialled from the OBi110 Phone Port. Under SP1 will be what actually went out to Google Voice. (I'm assuming that you have GV set up on sp1).

Is there an outside chance you dialled the following Star Codes, which OBi will use:
*07 Redial
*69 Call Return