News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

cell phone --> obi-attendant (press 2) --> dial out number from landline

Started by ericab, March 29, 2013, 05:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericab

as the subject states;
how do i dial out using my land-line ?
i've got the OBi 110. i've added my cellphone # as a trusted # and after 2 rings the obi attendant comes on, i select 2 to place an outbound call, and if i dial **1 then area-code and number, the call will be placed via google voice just fine....
(((  **2 is Anveo; which i use for 911. )))

but..
i want to dial out via my POTS land-line which i have connected to the right port. how do i do this ?

i tried just entering a phone number (without entering **X) but the attendant comes back and says "there is no service available to complete your call"

also, how do i make the OBi Attendant come on the line immediately when i call my landline ? as of now, it takes 2 full rings.

thanks for your time,
eric

Shale

Correction from dircom: Use **8 to call out on the POTS line.

dircom

From  http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506051

The default service route access codes are defined as:

·         ** 1 : SIP Service Provider 1  or Google Voice Service 1

·         ** 2 : SIP Service Provider 2 or Google Voice Service 2

·         ** 3 : SIP Service Provider 3  or Google Voice Service 3

·         ** 4 : SIP Service Provider 4 or Google Voice Service 4

·         ** 8 : PSTN Line Port Service Provider1

·         ** 9 : OBiTALK Network

ericab

thanks for the replies but; i got 2 different answers.

that being said, i tried **9 as well as **8, and the attendant tells me "there is no service available to complete your call"

i 100% for sure have a working AT&T POTS line connected.
???

ianobi

ericab,

Does the POTS line work from the phone plugged into the OBi110? Dial **8number to check. Also if you dial # you should get POTS dial tone. #  will connect the phone port to the line port to get direct access to the POTS line.

If you call your POTS number does the phone connected to the OBI ring?

Best to make sure the POTS line works incoming and outgoing to the OBi110 phone before we worry about why you cannot access it via the auto attendant.

dircom

backing up a bit
Is there Dialtone at the POTS phone jack near your OBI?

Does your phone work ok plugged into that jack?

Did you plug the line cord from the POTS line into the correct jack of the OBI? [labeled Telco Line]

ericab

@ ianobi

QuoteDoes the POTS line work from the phone plugged into the OBi110? Dial **8number to check. Also if you dial # you should get POTS dial tone. #  will connect the phone port to the line port to get direct access to the POTS line.

when i dial **8 and 1 <area code> <number> it rings about 3 times, then i hear a message saying 'im sorry you must first dial a 1 when calling this number, please hang up and try again" ; but as you can see above, i *did* dial a 1...

when i dial # and then 1 <area code> <number>, my other phone (cell phone) rings as normal, and shows up from my landline caller ID, as expected.

normally, to make a call with my landline number with the obi, i just dial a number and it goes out the landline anyway; ive never needed to dial a # first.

QuoteIf you call your POTS number does the phone connected to the OBI ring?

yeah

@ dircom

QuoteIs there Dialtone at the POTS phone jack near your OBI?
yeah

QuoteDoes your phone work ok plugged into that jack?
yeah

QuoteDid you plug the line cord from the POTS line into the correct jack of the OBI? [labeled Telco Line]
i have the actual phone plugged into the "Phone" port, and the ATT landline cable plugged into the "Line" port.

---------------------------------------------

also note that i have not made any changed to dial-paths, or dial maps, or routes or whatever under "expert" settings. this is basically a stock obi110, with GV on SP1, and Anveo on SP2 (for e911)

if i dial **1 i dial out on google voice, and if i dial out on **2, Anveo comes into play (e911) ... i tested it with dialing 933 for a 911 test call so i know it works fine.

ianobi

Quotei tried just entering a phone number (without entering **X) but the attendant comes back and says "there is no service available to complete your call"

Are you calling in on your POTS line, getting the auto attendant, selecting Option2, then trying to call out on your POTS line? If so, then this will not work as the POTS line can only have one call in progress at one time - either incoming or outgoing, but not both.

If you call your GV number from your cell phone and get the auto attendant, can you then place a call on your POTS line?

Quotealso, how do i make the OBi Attendant come on the line immediately when i call my landline ? as of now, it takes 2 full rings.

This is called by this setting:
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > RingDelay

The default setting is 4000 (4 seconds). This is to allow the OBi time to process CallerID. It needs to know CallerID to decide if you are a "Trusted Caller" and send the call to the auto attendant, or any other call to be sent to the Phone Port. You can try reducing the setting, I find 2500 works ok for me, but trial and error is the only method to get to a reliable setting.

ericab

QuoteIf you call your GV number from your cell phone and get the auto attendant, can you then place a call on your POTS line?
ah ha ! that works.

QuoteI find 2500 works ok for me, but trial and error is the only method to get to a reliable setting.

ok i will try this

thanks for your help