News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Random errors calling out and calls in that don't ring

Started by kelemvor, April 02, 2013, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelemvor

So overall, my home phone works pretty well.  However I have two issues.

1) Sometimes I can't call out to certain numbers.  I will dial the number (1-xxx-xxx-xxxx) and will get the "Number was rejected" error.  Sometimes it has an error number but it's not always the same number.

Sometimes it just seems it's one number and then a bit later it will just start working again.  It's very strange.

Update:
Happened again yesterday evening to one number.  Reason code was 487.  No idea what that means.

2) Sometimes my phone does not ring.  I'll get an email that I missed a call or that I have a VM and I was sitting right next to the phone the whole time.

Not sure if there's something I can check in my settings or anything to try to figure it out, but my wife is ready to cancel this and switch back to the VoIP company we were with before.

I do have this setup in conjunction with the service that makes the Caller ID work but don't know if that has anything to do with it or not...

Any suggestions would be great.

kelemvor

Updated with Reason Code 487 from last night.

Any logs or anything that can tell me what's going on?

hwittenb

Quote from: kelemvor on April 03, 2013, 08:07:04 AM
Updated with Reason Code 487 from last night.

Any logs or anything that can tell me what's going on?

For sip error codes this Wikipedia entry has a nice list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes

The first place to look is at the call history to see if that gives you a clue.  As you know the call history is located in the OBi ... Status-->CallHistory
For outgoing calls look particularly at the number dialed and the Terminal ID's that handled the call.

You can setup a syslog that shows the detail about the sip INVITE and other signalling concerned with the call.  You download and install a syslog program on your computer and put the computer's local network address on the System Management-->Device Admin-->Syslog-->Server field.  Obi has a Windows syslog program that you can download here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=707.0

The other valuable advanced debug tool is a packet sniffer program like WireShark.  WireShark is a free program that runs on your computer but to use it your computer needs to see all the packets sent by the OBi to the network.  One way to do this is to attach the OBi and your computer to a hub, not a switch, that then goes to the network router.  If you don't have one, hubs are hard to find since switches have more or less replaced them.

kelemvor

Can I view the logs via the web portal or do I have to connect directly to the box from my home network?  Never had any reason to view them before.