News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 overrides OBi100

Started by Lawduck, March 29, 2013, 12:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawduck

Short version: I have a 100 and a 202 (202 is new). Two phones. Using GV.

Issue #1: Since installing the 202, incoming calls are only going there. The 100 no longer receives incoming calls.  I can make outgoing calls on it just fine.

Question #1: How can I make both OBi devices ring?

Question #2: Assuming the answer to #1 is not "you can't," then can I create a delay so the 202 rings a few times first, then the 100 gets involved?

Issue #2: I tried signing up for the ObiPlus free service. That basically killed my 100 and I had to remove the profile entirely. Not to mention the set-up wizard is a complete joke unless you are well versed in telephony (I am not).

Question #3: Does the OBiPlus service allow the phone on my 202 to transfer active calls to the 100? (I understand that GV does not inherently support this). But can I tell OBi202 to look for OBi100 without reference to a phone number? (Instead, perhaps, referencing the OBi100 device number?).

Question #4: Can I accomplish any portion of Question #3 without using ObiPlus?

Thanks!

- Martin

hwittenb

Question #1: How can I make both OBi devices ring?
Question #2: Assuming the answer to #1 is not "you can't," then can I create a delay so the 202 rings a few times first, then the 100 gets involved?

You can fork the call thru the OBiTalk network to the OBi100 with or without a delay.  For example in the OBi202 inbound routing (for the SPx for the incoming call) you setup {pp1(ob500123456),ph} or with a delay {pp1(ob500123456;d=4),ph} .  Try different delay settings to get the desired delay you wish.

If you have SPx setup for sip on both OBi adapters, you should also be able to send the call via direct ip addressing to the OBi100 in a similiar manner ... {ph,SP2(userid@192.168.1.117:5021)}.    In this example userid@192.168.1.117:5021 is the userid, local network address, and sip port of the SPx you are calling on the OBi100.  In this case there is an ITSP SIP setting necessary on the OBi202 that seems to be necessary to stop 1-way audio.  That setting is X_DiscoverPublicAddress (uncheck).  I would test to make sure normal calls work OK with this setting.

Question #4: Can I accomplish any portion of Question #3 without using ObiPlus?

I would setup a code(s) in your Phone Outbound routing so that if you dial this code, say 101, 102, etc. for instance, to send the call to the other OBi. Setup the call address as above.  For instance and element like {(101):SP2(userid@192.168.1.117:5021)} using direct ip sip calling  or {(101):pp1(ob500123456)} using OBiTalk calling.

I don't know enough about OBiPLUS to answer questions about it.

Lawduck

Thank you for the really good response.

Couple of questions to clarify (given my minimal knowledge).

When you set out the 500123456 number, I'm assuming that's the OBi number shown on my Dashboard. Is it your intent that the number be the OBi 202's number or the 100's? My intuition would be that if I'm editing the SPx on the 202, I'd want to refer to the 100 there?

Also, when you mention it being set for SIP, I'm assuming you mean in the ITSP settings? There, it says Google Voice. Can I change that to SIP without any loss of GV service/functionality?

Great stuff though. I've been searching the forum forever to find exactly what you so nicely summarized.  Thank you!

- Martin ;D

hwittenb

Quote from: Lawduck on April 02, 2013, 12:19:40 PM

When you set out the 500123456 number, I'm assuming that's the OBi number shown on my Dashboard. Is it your intent that the number be the OBi 202's number or the 100's? My intuition would be that if I'm editing the SPx on the 202, I'd want to refer to the 100 there?

This example is for an outgoing call so this would be the OBiNumber of the OBi Adapter that you are calling.  Each OBi adapter has a unique number.  You can find the OBiNumber of the OBi adapter on the OBi Dashboard and elsewhere.

Also, when you mention it being set for SIP, I'm assuming you mean in the ITSP settings? There, it says Google Voice. Can I change that to SIP without any loss of GV service/functionality?

No, an SPx setup for GoogleVoice does not use the sip protocol.  The OBiTalk network does not use the sip protocol.  You only need to worry about sip for the examples using direct ip calling which you do not need to do if you are using the OBiTalk network example.  My response had two different techniques for calling another OBi adapter.  The direct ip call example required that you have one of the SPx configurations setup for the Sip protocol on each adapter.  If you are not familiar with the sip protocol then use the OBiTalk method of calling because that is the straight forward OBi supported method.

Lawduck

Got it. I'm going to implement the changes this Friday, so we'll see what happens.

But this leads me to two more questions.

First, will the protocol you described translate to a second 202? Right now, we're talking about routing from a 202 to a 100. But let's expand on the scenario, assuming both OBIs are 202s: 

Phone 1, Line 1 -> Obi 1, Line 1
P1, L2 -> Obi 1, L2

P2, L1 -> Obi 2, L1
P2, L2 -> Obi 2, L2

(Recalling that lines 1 & 2 are actually connected to two separate GV numbers and would be so on both Obis).

So, I want to transfer from P1 to P2, and remain on the correct line (i.e. P1, L1 transfers to P2, L1, etc).  What would be the SPx code to get that specfic?  (And if I can't, that's okay, but it would be nifty if I could).

Second, and less complicated I think, is to transfer on busy P1, L1 to P1, L2, and vice versa (P1, L2 to P1, L1) thus creating a rollover/hunt effect. I understand I'd have to kill call waiting, but I assume I'd also have to reduce max sessions to 1 (or else there'd never be a busy signal to trigger the event, right?). I would think that the Obi could internally re-route the call to the second phone port without worrying about call forwarding (which GV doesn't support between GV numbers anyway).

(You have no idea how helpful this has been. If you're ever in Eugene, the first several pints of great local beer are on me!).

- Martin

hwittenb

The plot thickens.

Using the OBiTalk network for passing the call I don't believe you can address beyond just the OBi level.  You can only send the call to a specific OBi and only identify the sender as a specific OBi.  You would have to have the different GoogleVoice lines on different OBi units.

Edit:  If you are trying transfer or forward to a specific line using OBiTalk you should have the lines on different OBi units because you can't identify a specific line in the address to a single OBi using OBiTalk.

If you were using the sip protocol, which is more complex, then you can send the call to a specific port on a specific OBi and it is possible to identify the line sending by setting up different caller id's.