News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Computer loses IP connection while talking

Started by barron, April 04, 2013, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barron

Hopefully this is an easy one.  I have an OBI110 with Google Voice, and it works just fine.  But if I try to talk on the phone while using the computer, I notice that my connection on the computer is lost.  When I hang up, if I repair the connection ("connect"), I get my IP address back. 

The OBI has a hard wired connection to the router (Linksys e1200), and the PC is wifi.

barron

I found this post, http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2642.0 , followed instructions, but my connection to internet still drops as soon as I pick up the phone.  (And it comes back when I hang up)

barron

I replaced my relatively new linksys e1200 router ("n") with an old G netgear wgt624.

This apparently fixes the problem.  So the problem must be with the E1200.  I tried a few setting changes on it but can't get it to work simultaneously with the OBI.  When the OBI is in use (talking), I lose wireless connectivity (didn't test the wired connection).

For now I'll just get along with wireless G service.  Hopefully that is fast enough for my Roku.

Shale

You had an interesting unusual symptom. I am glad you have a fix, but it would be interesting to know how such a thing would happen.

I had been thinking of suggesting trying continual pings to the router to see if the connection stayed up during calls.

I just looked at the pictures. It does not look to me as if it was shaped for function but rather for appearance.