News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Change GV # to Vonage and Drop Vonage

Started by BrandonRB, February 27, 2013, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonRB

Is there a way I can change my GV # to my current Vonage # and drop Vonage?  If I drop Vonage first, will my phone # be available using the change # process in GV? 

Thanks,
Brandon

Rick

You need to port your Vonage number to Google Voice.  If you try to do that in GV, you probably will get a message that it cannot be ported, which means you have to port it to a cell phone first, then to GV.  There are posts everywhere about that process.

RFord

In addition to what Rick said, you SHOULD NOT cancel your Vonage service until the port from Vonage to the mobile carrier is complete.  If fact, I would recommend you cancel Vonage AFTER the port from the Mobile/Cell Carrier to GV is completed.  If you cancel service before the initial port, you will lose your phone number.

Quote from: BrandonRB on February 27, 2013, 07:42:25 PM
Is there a way I can change my GV # to my current Vonage # and drop Vonage?  If I drop Vonage first, will my phone # be available using the change # process in GV? 

Thanks,
Brandon

BrandonRB

Excellent, thank you both for the assistance.  I am new to all of this kind of tech, so I really appreciate you taking the time to post!

Thanks Again,
Brandon

CoalMinerRetired

Just to add more to what is said above, GV only accepts porting of existing numbers from three or four mobile carriers.

So you port your existing number to one of the three or four, for 24 +/- hours, then port to GV.  T-Mobile is one of those three or four carriers, and it's why you see people asking 'what's the cheapest pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phone I can get?'

Good reference here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.0

Landsailor

I just did this with my original "landline" number from 1999 and a Virtual Number that I bought so the folks back home could call me. Current T-Mobile customer, so I just had it ported at the store to two new SIM cards.

My landline number ported within 24 hours, then I initiated the transfer to Google Voice almost immediately. Total timespan was April 11 to April 15 to be completely from Vonage to Google Voice.

The Virtual Number took almost a week, but as of this morning when it hit the cellphone, I'm free and clear of Vonage. This was expected after I called TMo's porting department and they read the date that Vonage should release the line.