News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Delay

Started by xGradiusx, April 22, 2013, 12:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xGradiusx

Is it normal for calls to take about 8-10 seconds to begin dialing. This happens no matter what area code I'm using.

I'm using a 202 and we're our own ITSP. Outside of the 202, using our cisco phones calls are places almost instantly on the same network.

Is there a way to kill the long delay?

Shale

Try pressing # right after dialing the number. If that helps, adjusting your dialing rules will make it work better for you without needing the #.

azrobert

Try to remove rules like xx. from the DigitMap. The OBi doesn't know how many digits you are going to enter, so it waits. Same for 011xx. to dial international numbers. Instead use 011xxxxxxxxxx

If you have different length international numbers include the country code.
Use 01161xxxxxxxxx for Australia.
Use 01144xxxxxxxxxx for the UK.

When you dial 01161123456789 the call will go out immediately since it will not match the longer UK rule.

It's a good idea to remove all rules that you don't need.

carl

Quote from: azrobert on April 22, 2013, 09:30:25 PM
Try to remove rules like xx. from the DigitMap. The OBi doesn't know how many digits you are going to enter, so it waits. Same for 011xx. to dial international numbers. Instead use 011xxxxxxxxxx

If you have different length international numbers include the country code.
Use 01161xxxxxxxxx for Australia.
Use 01144xxxxxxxxxx for the UK.

When you dial 01161123456789 the call will go out immediately since it will not match the longer UK rule.

It's a good idea to remove all rules that you don't need.

I am by absolutely no means an expert on digitmaps but I would think twice about removing those rules if you do international calling. Every country has different number length and sometimes different number lengths within a country. Also, many providers( localphone e.g.) recommend using # sign after dialing an international number which i do and it works well and is really not a hassle.

azrobert

Quote from: carl on April 23, 2013, 09:11:08 AM
I am by absolutely no means an expert on digitmaps but I would think twice about removing those rules if you do international calling. Every country has different number length and sometimes different number lengths within a country. Also, many providers( localphone e.g.) recommend using # sign after dialing an international number which i do and it works well and is really not a hassle.

Shale already suggested using #. I didn't say this in my post, but this is an excellent way to solve the problem. I was suggesting an alternate way for those people who don't want to use #. Shale also said to adjust the dialing rules to eliminate using  #, but didn't give details. I supplied some detail.

I'm also not an expert at dial rules, but I don't see the difference between defining the DigitMap to get an exact match like I suggested and using the #. Both will cause the OBi to dial without pause.

I'm sure there are people who call multiple countries with many different length numbers and would not be worth the effort defining a complex DigitMap, but that's up to the individual to decide.

Take me for an example. We only call 4 people in 3 different countries and would be very easy to define a DigitMap.  Instead I deleted all international dialing rules and use speed dial numbers.