News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV worked till I added CC

Started by axast, May 06, 2013, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axast

I have seen several posts with how to setup GV and CC. Could not find where am I actually wrong. Or maybe I am not wrong...just plan confused!!! Adding CC to the mix has my head spinning...

Here's the background info. Somebody PLEASE please please HELP.

1. GV setup: checked "forward calls to Google Chat". The call screening is off. CC number is verified.
2. ObiTALK setup (I saw ppl saying to go to obihai...not sure why..I went to obitalk):
    Have 2 SPs: GV and CC.
    SP1/GV: says connected. Primary outgoing checked. voicemail checked.
    SP2/CC: says Registered. voicemail checked. 911 checked.
3. CC setup: Have "IP Freedom" Plan. Under preferences, "Caller ID with name (Inbound calls)" set
    to "Enabled". Under "DID forwarding", I have "Default (Call Treatments, Default extension)".
    Some ppl have mentioned buying X amount of minutes from CC. I have no idea what that is about. Should I?

Things confusing me:
1. How do I make sure 911 is working? Even if I call non-emergency and make sure they know I will be doing a test. I want to make sure first I have the right setup. Next thing I know is -I do a test call, but I am unable to make one and piss the Sheriff off for waiting on me.
2. When I call out from ObiHai phone (connected via GV), the caller id that goes out is "Unknown Name". is there anyway of populating it with some name?
3. How is CC is even a part of this setup? As long as I do not get billed for more than $1.50/month and 911 works, I am happy. :)
4. Anything in general you think I have wrong with the setup options?

CoalMinerRetired

Several points to correct in what you describe.

In reply to "Things confusing me:"
4.)  A. GV setup: checked "forward calls to Google Chat". The call screening is off. CC number is verified.  When both GV and CC are setup, you want to uncheck "forward calls to Google Chat".   See Within Google Voice's Account -> Settings -> Phones: here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

4.) B. For CC, you want "Free Phone Number", (found at callcentric.com > Receive Calls > Receive Calls).  It might not be clear from here but all you want to do is receive a call forwarded from GV, and have CC add the CNAM.  It's free of cost, unless you want to add e911, which is $1.50 per month + $1.50 initial setup fee.  Since you'll never be making outgoing calls (except e911) you'll only receive incoming calls you don't care where the number is physically located, and since CC only offers the "Free Phone Number" in areas of NY State, this is what you choose.  E911 can have an address in Hawaii even though the number is in NY State, so don't get tripped up on that small detail.

1. Test. Call non-911 number of local 911 center and ask if you can test your actual 911. Sometimes they let you do this, sometimes not.  The accepted way it is supposed to work is CC 911 is pre tested (behind the scenes, some what like a traditional land line 911) and you're not supposed to have to do it yourself.  Peace of mind is another matter, though.

2. You can't change that via GV. There are other means to attempt it, but unlike traditional telcos (Verizon, etc) and cell providers, GV does not send your CNAM name out to all the recipients of the distributed CNAM databases. Some background and my take on it, note that my opinion is not having your name appear is the best approach:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4379.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5320.0  <- 4th or 5th post

3. You should probably reread the link in 4.a, it's confusing at first. To summarize, outgoing calls go out on GV, not on CC. Incoming calls (to you Obi) come in on CC, but not on GV, GV forwards the incoming to CC, which adds CNAM, which rings the phone(s) on your obi. What you have described above will have one incoming call go to GV and CC on your obi.  One call is going to win that race and it's usually GV not CC, so you see a call with no CNAM (look in Call History to see which SP the call "came in" on).

4. See above, a and b.

axast

CoalMinerRetired, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That helped a whole lot.

Turned out I do have a 929 number from CC. All I had to do was forward GV to CC as you mentioned. Everything fell in place. I'll test the 911 in the morning. Thanks again! Your explanation was the best.

And yes, after reading your thoughts about CNAM, I do agree with you, it is better the number shows with 'unknown name'.