News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fax

Started by jfisher24, March 21, 2011, 11:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfisher24

Can I use my all-in-1 printer/fax with Obi? If so how do I use the Fax?
Thanks.....

jimates

Connect the AIO to the phone port
1 - Along with your phones, using a splitter
2 - Connect the AIO to the phone port and then connect your phones to the AIO
3 - Connect your AIO to a phone jack if your house wiring is connected to the Obi's phone port.

You will need a service provider that supports fax. Google Voice does not support fax (although some have reported success faxing through GV.)

jfisher24

Thanks for the info, I know Ooma uses *** prefix before dialing a fax number. I was hoping Obi did the same. :)

swarner

Try your fax setup through your OBi first.

My old Brother Intellifax 770 works just fine ... perhaps it's because it transmits at 9600 baud ... but who cares ... it works!

Scott

jfisher24

I'l lgive it a try,
Thanks Scott

jimates

Quote from: jimates on March 21, 2011, 01:01:15 PM
Connect the AIO to the phone port
1 - Along with your phones, using a splitter
2 - Connect the AIO to the phone port and then connect your phones to the AIO
3 - Connect your AIO to a phone jack if your house wiring is connected to the Obi's phone port.

You will need a service provider that supports fax. Google Voice does not support fax (although some have reported success faxing through GV.)
My modem will go down to 9600 also, but I still can't use it through Google Voice. I use it through my netTalk Duo, which does not go through the Obi because the Obi serves no purpose for it.

MasonStorm

I'm not able to fax using Google Voice as my provider with the Obi110...but the voice quality is fine.  Does anyone know of a free VOIP provider that we can add to our Obi's so that we could also use them to fax?

Swarner, did you have to change any settings, or do anything else in preparation, so as to be able to send faxes over Google Voice using your Brother Intellifax 770?

Kaizer

initial fax (microsoft fax printer via usrobotics modem) through GV was a disaster--missing pages. then i forced the mfax printer to connect at only 9600 baud. seems to work now.