News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which Obi is right for me? Use 202 as modem?

Started by chucksflyin, April 19, 2013, 04:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucksflyin

Hi all, first time poster here.  I'm in the preparation phase for cutting my "triple play" service, and just going with Comcast internet.  I'm planning to get one of the Obi devices, but I'm trying to figure out which one is right for me.  I was planning on the 100, since all I really need is one phone line in my house (my single base unit has multiple wireless handsets throughout the house), but then I got to thinking.........

Comcast charges me $7 per month to "rent" their modem.  I'd like to get rid of this charge of course, and was planning to buy my own modem.  Then it occurred to me - would I be able to just get the 202 and simply use THAT as my modem, or is that not possible?

If not, is there any reason for someone with simple phone needs such as myself to spend the extra $40 for the 202 over the 100?

PS - I DO have a fax machine, but it gets used less than once per year and is not even on the same floor where my Obi will be located, and running a line between the two is out of the question.  I think I'll just have to accept the fact that I won't be able to send/receive faxes any more (which isn't a big deal). 

Thanks all!

dircom

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi202DS.pdf

the 202 has a router, not a modem

if you want to buy a modem, you might check w/Comcast and see if there is a list of "approved" modems

RFord

If you can afford the OBi202, I would recommend it over the OBi100, since it has two phone ports, with 4 SP slots, plus other features that the OBi100 doesn't have.  You cannot predict when that separate phone port might come in handy in the future.  The OBi202 is more future-proof and allow integration with OBiPlus, WI-Fi, etc.

I have owned my Comcast Modem for years and you can pick use ones all over the place.  Monthly rental fees are a ripoff, since you will pay for the Modem many times over by paying the monthly Rental fee.  I'm using an old Modem SB5101 and will continue using it as long as it is allowed by Comcast.  I do not have very high speeds (6/1), so it is fine for my use.

chucksflyin

OK, thanks gents.  I see I'll still have to get a modem (to quit paying rental fees), and I already have a router (need 4 ports).  So I guess the only reason to get the 202 over the 100 is for the upgraded hardware.  I'm not opposed to spending an extra $40 for newer technology, so I suppose the 202 it is!  Thanks again.....

giqcass

If you use the fax so infrequently try out a virtual fax service. I like this one. http://www.gotfreefax.com/

I love my OBi202.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Felix

Quote from: giqcass on April 19, 2013, 06:53:16 PM
If you use the fax so infrequently try out a virtual fax service. I like this one. http://www.gotfreefax.com/
Or any other listed here... FWIW, my wife is using ExtremeFax, which is now part of RingCentral

Quote from: chucksflyin on April 19, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
So I guess the only reason to get the 202 over the 100 is for the upgraded hardware.
Did you miss the part about two phones (vs 1 in 100) and 4 service providers (vs 2 in 100)? Unlike other routers built into ATA (which I never used) the router in 202 can be used in bridge mode. I use it to conveniently plug a network printer.

And, of course, 202 has a USB port. While what you can do with it today is very limited, - hopefully, new exciting features are coming soon...

chucknmonica71

[/quote]
Did you miss the part about two phones (vs 1 in 100) and 4 service providers (vs 2 in 100)? Unlike other routers built into ATA (which I never used) the router in 202 can be used in bridge mode. I use it to conveniently plug a network printer.

And, of course, 202 has a USB port. While what you can do with it today is very limited, - hopefully, new exciting features are coming soon...
[/quote]

No, I didn't miss it.  I should have clarified though - for MY use, all I need is one phone and one (or possibly 2) service providers.  That's what I meant by "the only reason to upgrade".  Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the reply and advice.  I ended up getting the 100 as I think it will fulfill my needs just fine.  If, at a later date, I decide I need more features, I'll upgrade to the 202 or whatever latest version is out at the time.  I now have the 100 installed and I'm very impressed with the voice quality.  I'll be porting my home number soon.  Thanks again to all.

PS - funny story - I bought a new modem and installed it the other day so I could drop the 7 bucks/month rental fee.  Two days later I got a letter in the mail from Comcast saying something to the effect of "we notice you have been renting a very outdated modem, and would like to offer you an opportunity to upgrade to the latest technology".....  LOL, thanks for nothing!  And the kicker - the same model of modem I HAD been renting, can be purchased for about 10 bucks on Amazon/Ebay!!!!  Grrrrrrrr........  At least my download speeds have gone up by a factor of 4.  So as it turns out I've been paying for "high speed internet" for a long time, but the crappy modem for which I've been overcharged for many years has been strangling my speed.  Double Grrrr.......